Opinion wanted:dt466 in 79 f-350

pitkrew

SIX IN A ROW...
Wanted some outside opinions on the newest project. Recently acquired a 1979 F-350 dump. Truck is in very nice cond, however it powered by a 300 6cyl.
Also have a early to mid 80's dt466 in a complete truck. This got the wheels
turning!! Was simply going to swap a 460 but this sounds so much cooler!!
Give your opinion positive or negative. What are my pros and cons?? Not very familiar with this engine, is it worth the work?? Thanks

I agree pretty cool but the 466 is big engine. going to have to build the front end and do some firewall work. going to be making it fit.

i know thee was an OBS ford here in MD with a 466 in it. from what i heard, he was lifted and had a custom oil pan made for it and it still had little clearance between the pan and axle.

It's been tried before. It takes a ton of fab work, and in the end the engine will be sitting against the back of the dash, and it'll need at least a 6" lift. For a pickup, I would highly suggest a DT360. After you fit a 466 in, you wont be able to do simple things like adjusting valves.

So maybe the 466 is going to be a little too much for this truck...

No go on swapping the Ford body on the IH chassis, as the chassis is rusted out. Plus the IH chassis is HUGE, i.e. long and tall, and the GVWR of it requires a CDL to operate...

Has anyone done a 5.9L cummins swap into one of these dentside Fords? I know there are many who have done swaps into 4wd chassis, but this is a 2wd '70s model chassis. It has a large crossmember for the twin I-beam suspension, which I don't think will be a problem, but it also has the rear-steer setup which I am concerned may interfere with the Cummins oil pan. Any experience?

i think that was a sled pulling truck. I believe he had to put the radiator in the bed because he didnt have enough room to fit it up front

There was a guy on one of the sights doing this swap in a 78 i think he had to mod the firewall i think he ended up making a dog house thats how far back it sat.