Opinions, delete grid heater and pass battery?

05BigCum

Wondering what kind of issues have came up with your trucks starting in the cold without the grid heater. I also live in Wisconsin where the winters can be cold.

Thanks

I wouldn't delete the grid heater up there. My truck lost a relay on a 15 degree day last winter and was not happy starting, if it was colder then I don't think it would have started.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Why do you think you need to delete it? Far from the biggest restriction in the system.

Just was looking to clean up the engine bay and make room for compounds in the future

I've lived in the UP and I currently live in MN. It gets cold here. If I try starting without a grid heater (even with two red top Optima's), it doens't happen. You'd need ether. I'm also ppumped at 21deg, which doesn't help.

I think you might be able to get away with one battery (red top Optima, or Platinum DieHard, or another quality battery), but you'd be trying your luck a little when we get the -25F for three weeks.

My advice is to clean up the engine bay by deleted less important stuff. Especially in wes-CON-sin. :D If you are going to remove the passenger side battery in -20F at least put it under the truck or somewhere else. Your starter will hate life.....and hate you! LOL

Last edited:
The only way you are going to survive a winter is with a grid heater or plugging it in literally every time you shut the truck off. One group 31 battery can get the job done but one stock battery is not going to happen. Unless you have investments in battery charging companies and starter reman centers. If so have at it.

Mine has had no grid heater and one group 65 battery for 2 winters. Coldest start was -5. Smoked a little but fired right up even with a sick engine. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

You are in TN. Your winters are absolutely nothing like the winters up here.

Been in Wyoming 10 years, 1 Walmart heavy duty drop in battery on the driver side, it had sovp and big injectors, no grid heater, amsoil, and I always started. Never gelled either. But always fired.

Yeah, I was thinking ppump truck given some of the people who responded earlier. That is my bad guys. Electronic trucks MAYBE can get away with a standard battery. VP trucks are notorious for starting well in the winter. Common rail would be questionable as it needs to see rail pressure to begin firing the injectors.

I'd keep the heater, but the battery can be taken out. I've been running the same single odyssey battery for almost 8 yrs now. I just put a trickle charger on it overnight once in the fall to make sure the battery is fully charged, and it's always started fine. Switching to amsoil did make it crank a lot easier as well though, and if it's cold and your planning on driving it, plug it in whenever possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd keep the heater, but the battery can be taken out. I've been running the same single odyssey battery for almost 8 yrs now./QUOTE]

If you've got the money, they're the best you can buy.
I get red tops because they're really cheap now off Amazon Prime.
Also, I mentioned the Platinum DieHard batteries because DieHard bought Odyssey and I've read they put that technology into the Platinum series. Then you can buy them local and avoid shipping for warranty.

When I did mine, it was pretty much a wash on cost between two cheapo batteries, or do the one odyssey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Personally, I think if the heater grid (I had ripped mine out of the truck in 06 after I got it in 04) warmed something besides just air, it'd be helpful. Cause correct me if I'm wrong... The air is only moving if you're already started and running..... Lol

Personally, I think if the heater grid (I had ripped mine out of the truck in 06 after I got it in 04) warmed something besides just air, it'd be helpful. Cause correct me if I'm wrong... The air is only moving if you're already started and running..... Lol

It heats the air that's in the intake, the first air to get into the engine, and continues heating it until the intake itself warms up.

Single odyssey battery and grid heater delete here. God damn I love California

Back