Over-atomized Fuel?

GRotman

Chief Indian
After reading the Modified CP3 thread and reading people stating that with too big of a pump you will over atomize the fuel? Is this really possible?
I have run D-max's over 30k psi with no problems, why would cummins be any different?:thankyou2:

That was me that posted that.
I miss printed my thoughts when I said it would be a loss in power.
In reality, from what I have been told, you may NOT loose much power, but with to much pressure and small injectors, you will see higher EGT's.
There seems to be a sweet spot on injectors when you are dealing with pressure. As you step up in injectors, pressure naturally has to rise for atomization.
Though it is not as crutial, you can run too small an injector with to much fuel pressure.
I was not there to witness the testing done that showed this theory to be true, but maybe someone that was will chime in.

After dealing with a few things on the D-max's, I cannot respond to why they react so differently to things while running pretty much the same cp3????

J.D.

From my experience the sweet spot on most cummins is around 25k or so. With to much pressure on these trucks you tend to run into damaged injectors. Just look at what a pressure box on stock injectors causes.

I think alot of the reason duramaxes do so well with stock injectors is because with EFI Live we can control the pulse width infinately and change it to whatever we want, thereby increasing or decreasing fuel delivery so if you are running high rail pressure you can increase it 100-200 and if you're running low you can bring it down by the same amount to gain rail pressure. Obviously as the pulse width gets really large, one would benefit from a larger injector to reduce pulse width as long as you have the cp3 flow to maintain pressure for good atomization.

Well, for example one duramax I tuned recently, had 40% extrudes and duel- fuelers running 3400 us. for pulsewidth at 30,500psi. The more pressure I demanded, the better it ran.