Over heating

Flyintaco138

Diesel Freak
I got a 24 valve and i am having some over heating problems and i just replaced the thermostat because it just happens every now and then and it could be the water pump but just don't want to dig that far into it if i don't have to

any help would be greatly appriecated
:thankyou2:

Thanks
Coty

Have you cleaned out your radiator out from all the bugs and dust?

could be your sending unit. has the radiator been flushed recently? if all that is checks out. then about the only other thing it can be is pump

This may sound dumb, but is it full of coolant? Any leaks? What year is it?

its a 2000 and there are no leaks and its full of coolant.... heater core is not leaking, but is there something else i can check for..... and also fan is good and just replaced clutch 20,000 miles ago.

looks like the water pump

When was the last time you flushed the system? The water pump is a positive displacement type and just about bullet proof. It's also one of the easiest to change of any vehicle I've ever turned a wrench on. I would look hard at the sending unit or gauge before replacing the water pump, also, where did you get the T stat? If it's not a Cummins unit I would be doubtful about it, seen issues with off brands.

Yep i did get a t-stat from cummins and it got to be something in the cooling system the gauge hit 220 or so i shut the truck off and jumped out it completely overflowed and filled my overflow tank and started spilling every where and we are going to swap out Water pump here quick

Have you checked your radiator itself good? Plenty of people put cardboard in front of their radiator and it gets wet and just clogs up the fins in the radiator.

Ok changed the water pump and its running great the old one felt like it had sand running threw it :doh: i don' think it is supposed to be like that HaHa

i just want to say :thankyou2: to nick @ Low Budget Diesel Performance