Overhaul cost for a 12V

AMMO22

BANNED
I'm looking at getting my wife a Dodge. I found one on ebay with a 12V that has 200k+ miles. How much would it cost (roughly) to have it overhauled?

Your question is a bit open ended. 200,000 isn't anything on these unless you already know there are some problems. Even then you're probably only looking at rings and bearings if the cylinders and pistons are still ok, which is relatively cheap. Maybe a valve job just to freshen things up. Are you wrenching on it yourself? Wait you said your wife... so she's wrenching on it, even better, so now we're just talking the cost of parts and a lawn chair for you...

LOL yeah, I'll be the one wrenching on it. She got to ride on some Arizona mountains this weekend on a Polaris and now she wants one and something to haul it in. She has a Jeep Grand Cherokee now and the value isn't much on it compared to what we owe. So the only way to get her a truck is buy a cheaper one and do a bit of work to it so it will outlast any loan we might take out for it.

I want to get her a Dodge. Then I'll begin the work. This truck will possibly be pulling mine on a trailer to DHRA events if all goes well with me getting the Powerstroke built up nice.

My 7.3L had 130k when I bought it and only replaced all axel seals, clutch, and CPS. No other issues. My 6.0 had 91K on it and haven't had anything break on it (knocks on wood). So I know they are ok with high miles, but never looked at one with over 200k before.

Last edited:
Really it boils down to how it was used and how well it was maintained. Also, if he's turned it up. If its all stock, no GSK kit, no fuel plates, stock injectors, stock turbo, etc. and he kept the oil changed. No problems.

Otherwise, you just don't know, but 300,000 before needing to be opened (given no abuse or odd failures) isn't uncommon.

lol it might come down to you hauling the 12v to the events boy there rough but seriously 200k is nothing on the cummins got one with 362xxx an i think it runs better than my 24v

WOW. Well I'm feeling a little less weery about the high milage now. I know its a lot less expensive to mod the heck out of a 12V compared to my 6.0.

She is 5' and 110lbs, should I really turn her loose in a 3/4 ton with 500hp? :hehe:

i dunno u pay the insurance lol seriously was just messing with ya but i have seen an 05 cr with lil over 550xx on the ticker in batonrouge the other day no problems ever he said my 24v has 176k on it an counting only minor problems an most them i created

Fuel gauge thing is normal... :bang

I don't see gauges on the a-pillar, so its doubtful its been turned up (unless they've been removed). Gooseneck setup tends to lean toward "some" pulling, so it hasn't been babied ALL its life. I wouldn't be scared of it, other than it being white... :doh:

Just my $.02

Yeah thats the good year12v 98 with the new interior and 4 door ext cab. Hard to come by cheap

Thats a nice truck, and a good year to boot.
Someone asked me the other day what a rebuild cost for a cummins, and I couldnt answer him. I had 339K on mine before the accident that killed her, and I might have put in a quart every 5K miles? I go extended intervals with my Amsoil synthetic. Thats also on a completly original everything, no rebuild, or refresh, top to bottom.

SO..... what does it cost to rebuild a cummins in stock form? Suggesting pistons, rods (if need be) crank grind, cam, ect ect ect....

Just my $.02 from my experience but...
Mine only had 211k on it when it took a crap, but someone had abused it in the past and not done proper maintenance. I re-used the crank, rods and block, all other internals are new as well as a new head. I did all the wrenching and paid for the machine work that was needed.
All said and done I've got just over 5k in the engine, but there were a few "extras" that were not absolutely neccessary. Studs, Cam, SB Clutch and a few smaller ones.
I was quoted 7k to drive it in/drive it out from the local shop, and that was just all stock parts and no clutch so I don't think I did too bad..
If yours was taken care of it still has alot of life left.

I'd feel better to replace a few worn internals. I'd want to take it on myself, but that would leave her without a truck for a few weeks, the military comes before any diesel wrenching unfortunatley. She is just as excited about pussing a diesel as I am. I keep getting emails from her with trucks for sale. LOL

I just got thru putting this motor together and did all the wrenching myself for around a grand with the machine work and not counting the performance parts. If your concerned about it I would rebuild it or freshen it up while it is still running decent. This will save a bunch of machine work. My motor had a hard 120,000 on it and I got away with a hone job, polished the crank, new bearings, gasket kit, and new pistons if you add in the performance parts that's a whole nother story.

Attachments

• Picture (Small).jpg
    Picture (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 39
Thats not bad at all. Gotta throw some "extras" at it while yer at it. Id count studs as nessecary. Always upgrade while replacing, at least thats my guidline when wrenching on anything.

Ammo, if u really want, just get a basic rebuild kit, gaskets, rings, bearings, and while your in it, I would invest in a cam as well. For the piece of mind, and from what I have gathered, its a great investment. Maybe take the block for a hone job, polish the crank, n balance everything. Maybe if you can do it, do some port matching on the head. :rockwoot:

AMMO22 said:
I'm looking at getting my wife a Dodge. I found one on ebay with a 12V that has 200k+ miles. How much would it cost (roughly) to have it overhauled?