Oversize valves for 12V Cummins?

AsTroSS

problems start @80 psi
Who makes oversize exhaust valves for 12V Cummins?

Are they made of Iconel or stainless-steel?

What about valve seats?

Here is picture of BigBadDoge cylinder head, exhaust valves are same size as intake !!
http://scottsram.homestead.com/Motor.html

looks like hotlink is not allowed :huh::

Any ideas? :evil

Timbeaux38 said:
Link worked fine for me
At first I entered only picture adress and it didnt work, now this link is for full éngine page.

I also found a place close to me that can get 12v head blanks for under $400.

RacinDuallie said:
Manley has a few choices in valves for Cummins..........
According to product list they have not valves for Cummins engine,
maybe some engine use same size valves.:huh::

Valves-tempchart.gif

Only extreme duty series or titanium valves may fit, due the high exhaust valve temperature.:frown:

Timbeaux38 said:
I also found a place close to me that can get 12v head blanks for under $400.

Are they made by Komatsu ?

I am interested of broken 12V head , I want to cut it half to study porting possibilities.:evil

I really dunno who they are made by I'll see if I can get you a link

According to Cummins Parts Catalog, the marine 370 Hp engine exhaust valves and valve seat are different than 180 hp Dodge Ram.

The size are same , but there is mentioned : for high exhaust temperature cylinderhead.

Intake valve spring, valve and valve seat are same in bouth engines.

What size valves use most of sled pullers/drag racers in their 700 + hp engines?

Like I have mentioned before, I will build racing engine for my truck and no mistakes allowed , do it once and do it well.

No sence to buy excpencive cam, if cylinder head does not flow enuf.

I also want to cut old cylinder head half, to find out how and were to remove material during cylinder head porting.

Last edited:
I got e-mail from Piers diesel according to stage 3 cylinder head.

They do not sell stage 3 cylinder head parts (bigger exhaust valves, springs .....) .

Fully ported complete Stage 3 cylinder head cost $2500 + titanium retainers with keepers extra $275 + your supplied cyl. head.

They can sell/use new head : $ 949

It's too excpencive for me :doh:

You pay to play, sometimes to much :(

Somebody in GA give Jeff a call, surely he has an old 12V head he would donate to a worthy cause?

Thats the sexiest (sp) engine I think I have ever seen.

How much were those pistons?

dan

The best way I've found to go on valves is to have a head guy cut the seats the size you want. And then cut blanks to fit. It's WAY cheaper. Cut for 10 degree locks. Cut the spring seats to fit whatever valve springs you want to use. Makes for a pretty cheap valve train set-up. Unless you use roller rockers. And if you building a big power motor, atleast use inconel exhaust valves.

I decide do not use oversize valves, because I have not found who make them and for cutom oder I do not have $$$.

I will use marine exhaust valves (they are designed for high exhaust temp) pn: 3802481 with marine valve seats Cummins pn: 3825176.

Now i have to find dual valve springs.
Who make them? Are they custom order?

Or do 60 lbs springs handle 4000+ rpm and more than 60psi ?

I've not had a problem with Cummins 3916691 12v marine springs and stock locks+retainers. Mine turns 4k+.

brandon.

Brandon, just for information :

Marine 370 HP engine do not use 60lbs valve springs (3916691), they using 30 lbs springs like Dodge :poke: (if I remember ,even p/n are the same)

The 3916691 ( 60lbs) are indrustial and automotive spring if exhaust brake is used.

Well that's good information to know. I read on TDR a long time ago that it was a 60# spring from a marine app.

bnraond.