p-pump and timing

need-for-speed

We just got finished p-pumping my 02 24v and was just wondering how much timing you guys are running. also I still have stock injectors if that makes any differance. It runs good just not as responsive as I would have thought its got 3k springs and #11 plate all the way forward. I live in the mountains and it seems to have a little of a hard time starting in the morning. any help would be great thanks mike.

How do you have the AFC hooked up? If it is not seeing any boost it will feel flat like you describe. I set my timing on a 02 P-pumps to 19 degrees. How did you set the timing? Good Luck!

we put it in the air intake horn right above the punp. what better place can I put it. I think its about at 16.5*-17* we were afraid to time it more than that and it already smokes pretty good. what else would I gain adveancing it more.

I wouldn't run more timing than that unless you have head studs at the least. I have mine set at 16.5*. Have you tried giving it a little throttle when you start it? My truck fires right off if i give it a little throttle when i crank it over. Adjusting the afc should take care of your response issues. Back the star wheel off a bit and turn in the screw on the back of the housing.

In the intake horn will work just fine...we just used a boost bolt in the intake. 19 degrees is not a problem at all. The truck is super responsive on top end...actually with 4k springs and lazer cuts it LOVES top end. I have the same starting problem, if I rest my foot on the pedal though it will fire instantly, if not it cranks a few seconds. I think mine may be because of all the pump work and big DV's but I dunno. It starts just as good when it is 0 as it does when its 75 as long as I rest my foot on the pedal. Sounds like you might need a a little afc tuning. If you want to narrow your problem to the afc then gut it temporaily and take it for a spin:woohoo:

19/21 is pretty hot street setup with some towing if needed u may loose some low end grunt kinda depends on yr setup .

nice thanks when I had it down in Iowa I was seein 40 pounds of boost with almost no smoke and now up here in the mountains of colorado I am only seein 32-35 pounds of boost with alot more smoke. I didnt think altitude would change it that much but it did. I will check the Afc again but I think we screwed the screw all the way in. I dont really know what gutin the afc means? how different of a sound does your truck make I think mine was louder with the vp44 it also sounds like its missin at idle just a little bit i cracked all injection lines to make shure that it wasent but it just has that different sound. other than that I think it was a good choice to do the conversion. its got a nasty oil leak now must not have goten something sealed up good it looks like its coming from behind were i mounted the ecm. thnkss for the help again mike

my truck is substantially quieter with the p-pump. Its quieter that alot of 12 valve trucks i have heard. The VP44 pumps are noisy pieces of junk. My motor has a slight lope to it at idle due to the .120 dv holders and lines. What is your elevation in colorado?

thats pretty high elevation. try backing off the star wheel about 2 turns and turn the fuel screw out. It sounds like it has too much low boost fuel

I am running 21* of timing and the truck has a smoke trail wherever I go. I am running stock DV's and big dynmite diesel sticks. It did not smoke nearly this bad with the VP....The only thing I can think of is I need a tighter spray pattern for the injector.

I just set mine to 22 tonight, pulls real good up top now. I liked the throttle response way better at 18.5 though.

I am running 21* of timing and the truck has a smoke trail wherever I go. I am running stock DV's and big dynmite diesel sticks. It did not smoke nearly this bad with the VP....The only thing I can think of is I need a tighter spray pattern for the injector.

I have the same smoke problem, and I'm at 22*. I also have big DDP injectors, which I believe are responsible for all the smoke. I guess it's a trade off when running the big sticks.

@ 28 I'm out of the bowl even usen 10ths washers , I got 2 options back it down some or move the plate FF and let the pump retard it

My trucks hazes soo much worse than it did when it was a vp....It ran on the dyno and had 35HP less and exact same TQ ...I know that can be the difference in the weather. The truck feels way stronger by the butt dyno but the haze just bugs me...Will DDP make custon injectors?

This is what my idle haze looks like. 25 degs timing, Mach 7's 13mm pump. Outside temp 40 degs about 20 seconds after start up. Motor cold.

Attachments

• haze.jpg
    haze.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
This is what my idle haze looks like. 25 degs timing, Mach 7's 13mm pump. Outside temp 40 degs about 20 seconds after start up. Motor cold.

Thats pretty good, mine is about the same with just a stock 215 pump an 150hp ddp sticks.