P-pumped towing turbo setups?

1995psd

I have a 2000, pump has 5k springs sdx comp. delivery valves .093 lines holders and tubes. Pump flows right at 550cc's adjustable pump gear set at 25* jl machine 7x10 injectors. I'm running a aurora 5000 turbo right now and am kind of disappointed in it. It does okay just seems to have a lot of lag and runs out of air at higher rpms. It will peg a 60 psi boost gauge no problem. I'm getting ready to start towing a lot again and just curious on if I should look into another turbo that preforms better or do a lot of tuning and play with timing. Any ideas? I will post turbo specs shortly as soon as I can find them on here

Compressor wheel

Inducer= 71.41mm/ 2.8 in.
Exducer= 100.14mm/ 3.94 in.

Exhaust Wheel

Inducer= 76.31mm/ 3.0 in.
Exducer= 70.15mm/ 2.76 in.

Exhaust housing is .85 A/R

Granted, I don't tow much, but that sounds like the opposite of a towing setup. A turbo about 10mm smaller sounds like the better choice for towing. Or get some twins on it.

Put a stock turbo in front of it, and keep the air in front of the fuel and you'll probably be fine. Singles suck for towing.

That's going to suck for towing if your talking any real weight. Twins are about your only option for big power and towing.

I have a 2000, pump has 5k springs sdx comp. delivery valves .093 lines holders and tubes. Pump flows right at 550cc's adjustable pump gear set at 25* jl machine 7x10 injectors. I'm running a aurora 5000 turbo right now and am kind of disappointed in it. It does okay just seems to have a lot of lag and runs out of air at higher rpms. It will peg a 60 psi boost gauge no problem. I'm getting ready to start towing a lot again and just curious on if I should look into another turbo that preforms better or do a lot of tuning and play with timing. Any ideas? I will post turbo specs shortly as soon as I can find them on here

maybe turn your fuel way down, bring your timing down to 17* at the injector and a 62mm charger....

you're really asking the truck to do something you have not built it for...

Put a stock turbo in front of it, and keep the air in front of the fuel and you'll probably be fine. Singles suck for towing.

Not true. A 58ET/65/14 single is the best all round towing charger I've ran, and it made right at 400hp @ 1275* EGT's and a light haze on a 375K mile 95 12v. It's all about the setup.

NOW, that being said....BIG singles (anything over a 62mm on a 5.9L anything) suck for towing. For towing twins I don't even like to see anything bigger than a 60mm on top either. Just get too much heat while you're waiting on the air.

58 over a 71 would be a nice 550-600hp setup. I was building a 60ET over a S478 when I sold my last 12v. Should have done close to 700hp and still towed nice....but it was going to be tight turbines with a lot of wastegate.

Keep in mind, towing for me is a 9500lb trailer with 10-25K lbs on it. I tow heavy. My trailer is heavy than most people's loads.

Chris

Not true. A 58ET/65/14 single is the best all round towing charger I've ran, and it made right at 400hp @ 1275* EGT's and a light haze on a 375K mile 95 12v. It's all about the setup.

NOW, that being said....BIG singles (anything over a 62mm on a 5.9L anything) suck for towing. For towing twins I don't even like to see anything bigger than a 60mm on top either. Just get too much heat while you're waiting on the air.

58 over a 71 would be a nice 550-600hp setup. I was building a 60ET over a S478 when I sold my last 12v. Should have done close to 700hp and still towed nice....but it was going to be tight turbines with a lot of wastegate.

Keep in mind, towing for me is a 9500lb trailer with 10-25K lbs on it. I tow heavy. My trailer is heavy than most people's loads.

Chris

Sounds a lot like how I will be towing... But I've got to do something. Would it be worth using my a5k as a bottom and trying to find a top charger for it?
I am honestly kind of disappointed with the setup I am running. I honestly don't think it would lay down 500 rwhp. Would I pick up any more power by backing my timing down to like 20*-22* or just leave it and mess with chargers?

But to be honest if I could make around 550 and still be able to tow I would be happy. This trucks egts get way to hot. Just taking off from a stop to like 55 mph easy by the time I get to 5th its at about 1200* no problem. I drive the truck Pretty easy for the most part and my driving is in town highway mixed and on avarage it gets about 14.3-15 mpg.

Back