P-Pumping a CR

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
I have ran across a 305hp CR out of an 04 that a friend of mine melted a piston. Instead of fixing the engine he went old school and is now having a 12V dropped into his 04. Anyway, if the price is right, I plan on buying his old engine and gradually building it this year and hopefully have another truck to put it in next year. I know PHD has a p-pump kit for a CR, but I is that the only option. I know the closs over tubes are different that a VP44, and there is clearance issues with the pump and intake trough with the CR head, but I plan on cutting the intake off the head and fully porting it with a fabricated replacement piece. What about the front timing cover? Will it bolt right up to the CR Block, and will all of the CR gearing work with the p-pump gear? I will be putting in a custom cam, but should I get one made for a 12V or 24V. It will be a long time before it is finished, but I want to get some answers first before I mess up and start a project that won't go together right.

Thanks,
Bragg

Perfect timing! i was just going to ask about doing a 6.7, should be pretty much the same!

Cover won't bolt right on
CR gears are straight cut 24v & 12v are helical (have to swap crank gear modify oil pump ect)
24v cam (you still have 24 valves)
PHD's cover allows you to use your other OEM equipment like powersteering pump. If you modify a 12v cover you can't use your factory stuff. For some this doesn't matter because if it's a competition only truck a lot of that is removed anyway.

Basically you can do it with a 12v cover with a lot of modifications, Teds machined cover costs more but is alot less work for a street truck assuming you were planning on putting it in a '03 and up truck. Probably other people doing it by now but none I'm aware of off hand.

6.7's are different but I believe Ted can do those as well but you'd have to call him.

12V cover will work, it does require some machining. Your best bet would be to get a 24V or 12V donor engine. So you can get all of the brackets, gears, pumps, etc.

As far as the head and connector tubes go, you can just have a set of lines made from Scheid or Haisley with the fittings for the CR tubes. The fittings are the same on the p-pump side and the head side.

Thanks guys. I will probably still stick with this CR motor if the price is right. I'll figure sometihng out on p-pumping it. I may just get the kit from Ted and be done with it, IDK yet. Again thanks for your help.

What injectors does one use for this? Id assume the CR injectors are no good to us since they are electronically actuated.