P-pumping a friends 01 what do you need?

MCForstenRacing

1/4 miles
im trying to help a buddy he is wanting to p-pump his truck. Hes geting ready to pull his motor and he is wondering what he will need. I have a 180 pump im going to sell him so that is taken care of. Does anyone have any used parts in good condition for sale? he is on a budget how much will it cost estimating?? thanks for the help.

Mostly depends on the power level of the pump.

Cost can range from a couple thousand to probably 6k.

Somehow people seem to be able to get "everything" they need for $1k - pump, gear, case, linkage, and lines. There are definitely more parts needed but I have seen more than one person claim this.

A safe bet would probably be in the $2k-$3k range again depending on how crazy he gets with the pump.

I did my conversion for under $1500 total and that included an Helix 2 cam. The obvious stuff is the conversion lines, pump, pump gear, and timing case. Other than that its small stuff like a throttle cable, cam sensor relocation(if applicable) gaskets, a riser so the intake horn clears the conversion lines ( i just stacked 2 grid heaters for now) some sort of fuel return line set up, wiring your shut off selinoid and thats basically it. If its an automatic you'll need to figure how to wire the 12V TPS...

Its pretty straight forward. Lots of good info in this thread. Read up!

be sure to upgrade the fuel system to a 12v version of airdog, fass ect... and set aside a few hundred for small odds and ends that may come up example: timing pins that for some reason was removed from my pump.. 68.99!!

Yup, I put 40# spring in my Airdog, my injectors are still set for VP popoff pressure too. Not optimal, but they'll work for the time being.

I did my conversion for under $1500 total and that included an Helix 2 cam. The obvious stuff is the conversion lines, pump, pump gear, and timing case. Other than that its small stuff like a throttle cable, cam sensor relocation(if applicable) gaskets, a riser so the intake horn clears the conversion lines ( i just stacked 2 grid heaters for now) some sort of fuel return line set up, wiring your shut off selinoid and thats basically it. If its an automatic you'll need to figure how to wire the 12V TPS...

Its pretty straight forward. Lots of good info in this thread. Read up!

you must have got some smoking deals. Just a cam and lines can be 1k.

275 for the lines, 300 for the cam both had very little use.

dont forget the oil feed line and that you have to move your ecm all the way back on the tappet cover. And trim the stock VP lift pump bracket and make it into block off plate for the mechanical lift pump port in the block.:blahblah1: