P0281 on cylinder 7

PDA1

I have a Powerstroke 6.0L (2003) on the ol' Excursion.

I replaced injector #8 (drivers side closest to firewall). (by way of background- I broke the connector to the injector #8 when I replaced the ICP so I had to replace the #8 injector).

It started fine after about 10 seconds of cranking. I let it idle for about 5 minutes and then went for a test drive. P1000 code appeared which I expected.

P0281 also showed up after about 5 minutes of driving and wouldn't clear. I pulled over to the side of the road, shut the engine off, waited a few seconds, and started it again. I could then clear the P0281. I drove another 15 miles at around 55 mph, with no code problems, and then went back to slow driving when the P0281 appeared again. I stopped, shut the engine off, and then started again. I could clear the code again.

It seems with high speed driving the P0281 doesn't appear. When I stop at a light then it does (but not always). It seems just before the code appears the engine has a slight increase in RPM (I can't say for sure it does as it's a quick change, i.e. "sound" of change in idle speed then the code appears.

Believe it or not...the engine appears to run fine- it seems nice and smooth. ECT, EOT are within 8 degrees of each other (about 194 degrees). EGT's are typical- 300 to 700 degrees. Idle is about 600 rpm (I just watch the dash gage for rpm.

Do you men have any idea what the heck is going on with this thing?

The higher rpm the computer doesn't run the background cylinder contribution test.

Fixed

Fixed.

I took the Excursion to Ford and they did a diagnostic check and found that injector #7 was probably malfunctioning. The other possibilities, they said, could be broken harness wires or Injector 7 cup. The scary part is they said injector 7 is on the drivers side (and were adamant about it). Thank God for the internet because I (stupid customer) showed them the Ford manual online (page 7)

So, I removed and replaced the injector myself. It was pretty difficult removing the 3 lower bolts on the valve cover- that was the hardest part. The evaporator is in the way and so are the A/C tubes on the firewall.

Do you fellas know an easier way to get at those bolts?

This is the 2nd replacement of Injector #7 in 3 months. Any ideas why?

The engine isn't chipped and I rarely go over 1800 RPM.

Ratcheting 12mm box end wrench. Is the injector coming out blackend on the bottom?

Back