P1698

DirtyBlonde

The Pink & Black Attack
The truck made it 2600 miles between here and CO and took a crap. Go figure.

I had trouble (out of the blue) starting twice in Colorado (those of you kind enough to lend me a jump will remember) then everything was fine the entire way home. Wednesday AM I went out to go to work and the truck was dead as could be. Spent Wed. night trying to get it to charge...And it plain wouldn't, so the main battery got replaced this afternoon.

Now, the truck starts like a champ. However, my instrument panel lights up, but none of the gauges, with the exception of the tach are working. The cherry is that my fan blows, but the A/C compressor is not working either. SO, I plugged in the SMARTY and got a P1698 regarding communication with the PCM according to the read-out.

Why is this happening? I checked all of my fuses both in cab and under the hood, both physically and metered. They all appear to be a-okay. What's next?

Thanks, boys.

Oh, and thanks to Billy and UltimateDiesel for their help with my "what the hell's" already....

Don't tell me I'm the only lucky soul to ever have this problem....?

Ok, I have done countless hours of research on this problem of yours and I have come up with the correct solution....

Sell D and buy a Common Rail.....:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

What is your voltage at the batteries? Check both with a meter. Clean posts. Sounds like you rubbed a wire somewhere but that is a huge guess. Shorted wires drop the voltage down, when that happens things draw more current, when they draw more current things burn up!!! I hope this isn't your case. I'd be glad to probe around on yer truck but you are WAY too far from here! Sorry. :D

lol good luck getting close to her truck. She has electric barbed wire all around that thing with GPS notification. She won't even let me touch it, but yet whens shes in trouble, I'm the first one she calls. :poke:

^^^ :hehe: Just being neighborly and offering! :D I have "trust issues" with others too!

Nat, I agree with them and start checking the grounds and checking for loose wires. Easiest and cheapest things to do. Seems our trucks are related when it comes to random problems popping up out of no where.

You think I'm scared of little ol' Nat? Haha. Please. She's easy to control. Just gotta know how to speak Nat-anese. LOL LOL

Simply because you're jealous I have better hair than all of you is no reason to be a bunch of haters. Seriously, boys. If you want the name of my salon, I'm happy to pass it along.

And last time I checked, "Nat-ease" just meant raising your voice a few octaves and throwing in a "snickelfritz" every now and again. I'm offering free classes if anybody;s interested. :shake:

The truck will be back to me today from the shop from the transmission issue at which point we'll dive back into this electrical foul up.

Your hair will never be as perrrtty as mine. But that's besides the point. I'm tellin ya, electrical problem is DIRECTLY related to *cough* driver error *cough*

"Uh..... Gee George":hehe: :hehe:

Ultimate Diesel said:
Your hair will never be as perrrtty as mine. But that's besides the point. I'm tellin ya, electrical problem is DIRECTLY related to *cough* driver error *cough*

"Uh..... Gee George":hehe: :hehe:

Then explain why is started when the truck was PARKED. :redx:

You misalinged the stars that kept your truck running? I dunno nat. LOL

What was the tranny issue? I'm wondering if the two aren't related?

Also, learn to pick up your phone when someone calls you. You promised you would learn to answer a phone. LOL