P7100 pump install help

9412valve

Boost Lover
I'm going to be changing my pump out and putting in a maxed out pump in. I'm lost on timing and how to make sure it's all correct.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Did you have the pump shop pin time it to what you want? That will make things a lot more simple.

Basically find tdc on the motor, by using the timing pin. If your pump is pin timed to say 18*, use brake clean to clean the inside of the pump gear. Bolt the pump up to the timing case, snug the pump nut just barely, I think its suposed to be like 15lbs. Now remove the timing pins from the pump and motor and torque the pump nut while someone holds the motor from turning

I got it from a different member so I'm not sure on the pin time. So I want to kinda start over to make sure it's where it should be

The only way to get it right since it's not pin timed to what u need then u will have to buy or find someone with a timing tool

The snap on timing set is worth it in my opinion. I know people get it together cheaper, but having the socket and all that good stuff in one box is nice.

Also, be very careful with the plastic pin on the back of the timing cover. I like to pull it all the way out (which can be a serious pain), stick my finger in there until I feel the hole, then line it back up with the pin.

Sounds good. I was looking at the snap on timing set. But I already have the socket. And a dial indicator. So do I need to worry about pinning this new pump ? If I pin that won't that set it at factory time ? I guess where I'm lost is when I put this new pump on, do I do it this way:

1. Set engine at TDC
2. Remove old pump
3. pin the new pump before I install the pump
4. Install pump and bolt it up
5. Remove number 1 delivery valve and install dial indicator
6. now do I install the timing gear on the pump ?
7. Then with the timing gear installed do I turn the engine counter clockwise or do I not turn the engine at all and just turn the pump gear? That is where I'm lost.

It sure would be nice if shops would engrave timing on the side of the pump housing to make life easier.

It's called a timing Card. It says what it's timed at. Not too difficult. Just tell the pump shop what u want it timed at then pin time it and you're set.

There isn't any reason to use either pin. The cam timing pin might be or probably not be adjusted to engine TDC. The only time I remove the pump timing pin cover is to ascertain the pin isn't fork down. Find the chart for your pump #, find TDC using the drop valve method and time the pump. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm It isn't rocket science.

Back