PACCAR frame rust

brianv31

out of my league
I have 2 PACCAR trucks with the typical frame rust issues. They are both day cabs. What should it cost to have the frame repainted?

I'm not looking for any exotic coatings, just need to stay ahead of the rust so the trucks stay in one piece.

Thanks for your input.

dont just paint over that crap, you need to get rid of and neutralize the rust first...

i dont know otherwise. we dont have rust down here in the south,

Products like por15 will encapsulate the rust, but its somewhat expensive

Sand blasting is really the only way to go if you are going to spend the money on paint. After it is blasted a heavy duty single stage will protect the metal, we use Wilko's products for frames.

Thanks guys for the product suggestions.

Anyone care to ballpark a cost on having this work done or are there too many variables to guess at it?

Depending on the shop you take it to, you could spend $500-$1500. I had a steerable pusher axle installed on my Mack CH613 grain truck. I wanted the rest of the frame sandblasted and painted while it was at the shop. I think it was $500 extra. I took my 377 Pete over a year later and it was $600. I called a couple of big truck body shops and they quoted me around $1500. I would talk to some other truck owners in your area and see what you can come up with. Make sure it gets sandblasted 1st or if you paint over the old paint, it will start peeling off in about a year.

I did some checking around here. The local paccar stealership quoted $4,500 for the whole frame and $3,000 just for the frame behind the cab. I talked to the place where we had a sleeper removed and the frame shortened and they can do the whole frame for $3,000. Both places would completely strip the frame before blasting and painting.

Where is your shop at collin bucko?

Menomonie, Wisconsin. That quote is for the frame from the cab/sleeper back. We don't do a lot of full frames. Midwest Star Group is the name, I tow heavy's for Jerrys Towing, which is a company under Midwest star group

Thanks for the info, wish you were a little closer.

Sounds like you guys have the work priced a little better than our options here locally.

Oh you ain't all that far away! Do you ever haul through the area? We could always get you in during the week, and it only takes a day to do everything!

I wish Paccar would learn to put a good paint job on from the factory. Frame paint on my last one didn't last a year. I sand blasted it and painted it with Chassis Saver and it didn't last any longer. Any suggestions for paint that withstand Ohio/Michigan winters?

Diamond Vogel IG-9241 is one of the products they use at CIT when they repaint frames. It is a direct to metal paint, sandblast it, blow it off, spay it on. I just bought 10 gallons with activator for $708.** in Bloomington. If you were going to tackle it yourself I would think 4 gallons would be plenty. I'm spraying it on a 35' gooseneck next week, I've never used it before, but I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited:
Back