Painting a comp housing?

Got Smoke?

Did a search and only came up with people who polished their housings.

I want to paint my non-polished compressor housing. What should I do to prep the surface first?

back in the day when I put my first HX40 on my 97, I painted it black so that it would look like the stock turbo. That tradition has stuck with me, and I paint my turbos w/ high temp black paint. all I do is just hose them down w/ non chlorinated brake cleaner and paint.

There is a guy behind the shop that does powder coating...pretty resonable prices. I think he charged 30-35 for a wheel I had done.

Thank you both, but I am color matching everything to a painted valve cover I have Ashley so PC is out.

I just coated my newly poilshed housing with Glisten PC made by POR 15, we will see how it holds up to the heat! My vavle cover has held nicely for 2 yrs with this stuff, and hasn't turned yellow at all! so if you do paint you might try this stuff for a clearcoat

Degrease, wash is a acrylic based solvent or hydrochloric acid, dry, paint with ENAMEL not LACQUER based paint.

Cant acid tank aluminum, cover it well if you bead blast, one option is to take to to a trans shop and have them run it though their cleaner thing.

Get it as clean as you can.
Then put it in your oven on high for an hour to degass it.
It bakes the oil out of it.
Be sure the wife is not home at the time :)

Get it as clean as you can.
Then put it in your oven on high for an hour to degass it.
It bakes the oil out of it.
Be sure the wife is not home at the time :)

Well not married LOL but having to work on vehicles at my parents house in their garage so maybe my mother won't mind. Damn I need my own shop! LOL LOL

Degrease, wash is a acrylic based solvent or hydrochloric acid, dry, paint with ENAMEL not LACQUER based paint.

Cant acid tank aluminum, cover it well if you bead blast, one option is to take to to a trans shop and have them run it though their cleaner thing.

Where do I get that stuff(cleaner) at Roach?

Back