Painting Chrome? Questions

MacbooknMyTruck

Waiting and Wanting
Hey Guys! I'm looking to get my truck painted black, but it has a lot of chrome on it and I was wondering if you could paint the chrome black to match. Is it possible? Any tips or tricks? Pictures? I will probably be sending my truck to my friends body shop but I'm not sure if they can..... so i needed instructions! And how long does the paint last?

Another question. Is there any way I can buy some of those chrome (sometimes painted ABS plastic) handle covers and paint those?

THANKS!

Why paint chrome plastic stick on handles instead of your own? You could probably just sand the texture down and paint em. What else is chrome that you are talking about painting? You can spray the bumpers with Line-X like I did and it will last a LOT longer than paint.

Painting chromed plastic just treat like painting regular plastic IIRC.

The bumpers and any other chromed metal, sand them with 80 grit on a DA, then epoxy prime it. Sand that with some 320 and spray it.

Thats the simple version.

Why paint chrome plastic stick on handles instead of your own? You could probably just sand the texture down and paint em. What else is chrome that you are talking about painting? You can spray the bumpers with Line-X like I did and it will last a LOT longer than paint.

Because I've been told by many people you can't paint the black textured handles. And I'm afraid to mess up somehow! I really would like a pro to do all my painting ON the truck. But with the handles, I can just try again if I mess up, without paying $80 a handle from the dealership

Painting chromed plastic just treat like painting regular plastic IIRC.

The bumpers and any other chromed metal, sand them with 80 grit on a DA, then epoxy prime it. Sand that with some 320 and spray it.

Thats the simple version.

Ok how long will the paint stick on the chrome?

Do you have any pics of your Line-X'ed bumper? I really would like to see because I've heard it fades and I don't want a grey bumper on a black truck, ya know? And how hard is the Line-X to clean?

Taking the handles out only takes 5 min per door.
DONT PAINT ANYTHING ON THE TRUCK

They will paint just like anything else, just have to prep them correctly.

Get a quality degreaser made for paint prep, apply and wipe off. Scuff the handles with a red scotch brite pad, like yo do dishes with. Degrease again, then prime, then paint.

It may stick to the chrome, but the issue you'll have is rock and debris chips. Ask anyone with a factory painted front bumper what it looks like after a few years. You can get the Line-X extreme with UV protection that is not supposed to fade. It wasn't a cheap option when I did mine so mine are slightly faded but it doesn't look too bad yet. If it gets bad enough I'll just have em respray it with the UV Protection. Most of the cost of the Line-X is in the prep work. As far as cleaning its just as easy as washing the truck. Just a sponge and soap. If you want to hit it really good a pressure washer works well too.

The problem with painting those cheap chrome pieces is that they just stick on with tape. So they look kind of crappy to me.

Here's the pictures:

Bumpers-01.jpg

Bumpers-02.jpg

Bumpers-03.jpg

Bumpers-04.jpg

Bumpers-05.jpg

Bumpers-06.jpg

Thanks. I got the bumper guard from sportsmansguide.com Its a Go Rhino 3000 series. It's pretty cheap but it serves its pupose. I now have 2 KC 130w Long range 6x9 lights on there. Plus the bottom bar is a step so it helps when wrenching on the engine.

Thanks. Now that I look at these older pictures the more it looks like the line-x has faded. I'll see if I can do some comparison photos. My truck does sit outside in the sun for most of its life while im at the fire station.

Ok thanks! Yeah I think I want to paint the chrome bcause I'm having my truck painted gloss black and I don't want a grey bumper. So can someone help me out?

Anyone? I need help! I wouldn't mind line-xing it but I dont want it to be grey as I'm going to black out my truck! Help please!

If you go with the Line-X Xtreme it has a UV coating in it now to prevent fading.

Back