Pick a ball bearing charger for me

kas83

I'm planning on upgrading to some 5 x .012 injectors, rack plug, 4k gsk, and some good pump tuning, in my 160 pump. I'm not happy with the DDP's anymore, gonna get in touch with Smokem and try some of his.

Anyways, my little B1 Kwikspool didn't very well like smaller injectors on my old 97 with a stock pump, and I'm planning on a little more fuel with this truck. But I really don't want to give up the almost instant spoolup of this charger. The best compromise seems to be to look into either a Turbonetics or Garrett BB unit. But when looking thru both of their sites, I simply can't figure out what is what.

Uses of my truck are daily driver, occassional 8,000 lb trailer, 2 or 3 hooks to a sled per year, and a pass or two down the dragstrip. It's going to be an all around truck, with not purpose built for any one thing. Also will have a Goerend tranny with corresponding tight converter.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

when someone says all purpose truck......first thing I say is 64mm!!!!!

you can still tow with on and doesnt have the lag of a 66 for daily driving. A while back I was able to drive a P-pumped 24v with a garrett BB turbo. I got to say I liked it A LOT! Spooled up great, seemed very smooth, and had a very nice top end punch to it. If garrett made a BB 2.6 gt42, Id have no hesitation on buying one! (do they make one??????)

I have a turbonetics bb charger that would work good, comp housing is 58mm, exh housing is68mm

I have a turbonetics bb charger that would work good, comp housing is 58mm, exh housing is68mm

Is that the Stage 1?

I was told by Turbo Auto Diesel that my B1 is a 62mm compressor, 65mm turbine with clipped fins, and a 12 cm housing. It's an old school design compressor wheel from what I understand. Not sure on the specifics though.

Going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming the modern day chargers have way more advanced wheels and housings than what my current charger has, correct?

Let's see...Garrett Stage 3, or GT3788R is 64mm, but will limit you to about 500hp from what others have said, mostly from the turbine side.

GT4088R, same compressor, bigger turbine, T4 housings. I ran one a while back, but my pump was screwed up, and wouldn't run right. Thinking of taking the twins off, and trying her again. Haven't made up my mind yet. I think I could push it over 500hp.

Chris

I think so but not sure.turbonetics said it should support 550hp don't hold me to it. Ican get you the serial# if needed.

Turbonetics offers 3 drop in replacment turbos for the 94-02 dodges, one being a 58mm, and two 66mm. Check them out here Turbonetics And they can come with a few different options for turbine housings if specified when ordering.

Brett

I am running the garrett GT3788R which is 64mm, and my truck is alot like your, its my dd, but i have to pull a trailer every now and then, and try to hook the sled a couple times a year. I have to say i really like the charger spool time is great and egt's are not a problem

Brett, which T-netics would you recommend? I realize the 66 will flow a good amount of air, but I'm worried about surging issues if I choose a tight housing. But will the .84 housing offer me good spoolup with low surge? Also, do I go with the 65 or 68 mm turbine?

And for those running the GT3788R, which turbine housing are you running? I'm thinking the .89 housing would probably be my best bet to help spool.

One thing, should I purposely go with a tight housing, add an external gate if it surges, or try to find the best compromise on housing size for good spoolup and low surge? The driveability is most important.

All is all, I'm looking for ~450 rwhp that daily drives well, tows without having to stay glued to the pyro, and is fun to run around town with. Quick spoolup, plus good topend power for when it comes time to play. If it puts down more power, all the better. But these are my goals.

To be honest I don't remember if my housings is a . 89 or a . 99 housing, I beleive it is the .89 . There has been a custom hx40 type flange made for the back of my charger, when it was flow tested the original exhaust flange was the stock hx35 style, and it was causing a turbulence inside the charger and when this happened it caused higher egts, but with a hx40 style exhaust flange there has been no egt issues.

Brett, which T-netics would you recommend? I realize the 66 will flow a good amount of air, but I'm worried about surging issues if I choose a tight housing. But will the .84 housing offer me good spoolup with low surge? Also, do I go with the 65 or 68 mm turbine?

And for those running the GT3788R, which turbine housing are you running? I'm thinking the .89 housing would probably be my best bet to help spool.

One thing, should I purposely go with a tight housing, add an external gate if it surges, or try to find the best compromise on housing size for good spoolup and low surge? The driveability is most important.

All is all, I'm looking for ~450 rwhp that daily drives well, tows without having to stay glued to the pyro, and is fun to run around town with. Quick spoolup, plus good topend power for when it comes time to play. If it puts down more power, all the better. But these are my goals.

If your just looking for a solid 450hp the T58 would work pretty well and have excellent spooling characteristics. And that would come with the 65mm turbine &.70 A/R divided housing. And for a goal of 450+ I wouldn't even consider adding a external gate. Would just be overkill for that application.

The Stage 3 garrett comes with the .99 housing, the stage 2 has a .89...I would stick with the .99 on a 12v, but you could probably get my with a .89 if you put an external gate on it.

Also, Tom @ Turbo Resource has some kind of modification he does to the housings, I don't know what, but I've heard a couple people talking about it. If I use the stage 2 I have again, I'll probably send it to him to mod.

Chris

I've used both A/R's, .89 & .99 from Tom btw, on the stage three. Which to use will really depend on HP range you support. The .89 makes a big difference on the spool, but DP shoots up pretty fast after 45psi. If you are staying around the 450hp range, I think you will be just fine with the smaller A/R without an external gate.

Sent a pm to OP. Looking to move my t66 for something a bit larger to burn everything this 887 can dish out!

Replied.

Thanks for the offers so far guys. The only one I could possibly entertain would be the T58 from Jamie@VDP.

I'm more or less looking for info on the chargers that are available, trying to make a good decision.

Sent a pm to OP. Looking to move my t66 for something a bit larger to burn everything this 887 can dish out!

Hy 62/S480 can't burn all my 913 can dish out...and I have 100cc's more if I need them.

Good luck:p
Chris

Tom at Turbo Re-Source Puts the compressor off of the 4088 on his stage 3. Has flange welded on for the hx40 down pipe. Specs are 64.7 inducer 88mm exducer on comp, exhaust turbine is 72.6mm, .89 ar exhaust housing.

Thought the Stage 3 already had the 4088 Compressor...Garrett's website listed them the same at least! The 4088 has listed a 63.5mm compressor, not 64.7mm

Downpipe Flange would be awesome!

Chris

Back