Picking the right turbo ???

DieselMonster

Hey all, I have been lookin for the right turbo for what i'm running..

In my sig is some good info on what i have, some info is missing as i need to update, I have installed a tork-tec ofv (32psi) set , Suncoast VB, truck has 4.10's and a 1700 stall single, current 35w will get 26 psi..

I like to tow but as with manny here my EGT's a re a bit high( over 1100*) and I'm needing more air, I have been looking and would like some suggestions ??

Anyone able to take me to school on how to read the Map for a turbo ?? been wanting to get more into the science of the flow if possible ..?

Super B single is actually a pretty nice upgrade. However, I think that the 60/68/12 would be a better choice. Elevation will also play a big factor.

How do you use the truck? Do you tow a lot? When you are towing, how heavy is it?

Here in Idaho (Clark Fork, is right next to me) we can't get away with large chargers. Our passes kill us.

Sounds like the HX35 is just fine. I wouldn't be worried with 1100* or more at all.

I do tow, I travel back and forth between Tacoma and CF.. Spend more time In Tac. than CF latley with my bummed up arm ..

I love the way the 35 spools , I can be off the line and half way accross the intersection and ITS LIT !!!!

I also got a suggestion form a guy 35/40 and if i wanted to go comp. do a S475 .. I think that may be a bit much -- I dont intend on pulling Snoqualimie pass with me when I go !!!! .. wanna keep the truck streetabel and I have re-vamped my power #'s ..

Keep it under 600 hp , that should be doable ??? or not ?? please help !!! I'm so conflicted here, whats doable ?

Coming from someone who is from around these parts with the elevation, and hills.... towing is not going to be fun with any turbo that can support much more than your 35. Mainly due to the 1700 stall. The 4.10s REALLY will help though.

A super b is the next logical step... but it's not a HUGE step. I would expect to see a 100-150 degree drop over what you have now.

If you want anymore than that, I would recommend compounds.... I personally like the S472 for a towing rig.

What are you after; more power or cooler egts? Because I wouldn't get worried til 1300*... the pistons are cooled by oil and incoming air, it's pretty hard to melt a piston in a 12v.

If you want more power I'd recommend saving up for twins with the HX35. Sticker shock is high but they will drive so nice through the mountains and make good power. My 64 and low stall converter was miserable at 6000 ft.

Why not a 351/472 twin setup? Be amazingly fast to lite, keep egts way low and be good in your elevations.

If your only pushing that 35 to 26 psi, you don't need a bigger turbo.

Power is nice, and I need DD ability as well, POwer can come second to the drivability though ..

Also, 600 is an upper limit.

If i pull the plate it will peg 1600* before i get to lock up .. I currently am running a stock plate FF, I was thinking I would get some inj's soon , like 100's .. ?

Due to the timing added by the larger injectors i wouldnt need to advance IP .. ??

Set-up needs to be part of the whole discussion as well I suppose, 15.5* of timging , thinking i need 18 or so ?

If i go compounds, What 472 should I get ? and do i compound is the hx's shaft going to be strong enough ? I have herd they can break .. Dont want that ..

If you do compounds. Ditch the 35 for a 40. I found it to be smoother in a twin setup than a 35.

For towing...351/472 with the T6 1.10 Or the stock 35 with the same 472.

Injectors....5x13 or 5x14 with the compounds.

Thanks for all the input guys, can any one explain how to read and know what turbo to get by the map ??