Pilot injection, worth it?

DRK

I've been reading up on pilot injection, specifically how it keeps idle quieter.

I'm not too concerned about faster injector wear (it'll just give me an excuse to tear it apart and do internal work ;) ), unless it's going to wear out injectors in 10,000 miles or something crazy like that.

Does it really quiet down idle? Does it adversely affect performance elsewhere? I'll be running IDP tunes and mild FICM, plus basic other mods (intake, exhaust, CCV filter and Zoodad)

The reason I'm asking is I'll be installing (and possibly competing with) a competition-quality sound quality audio system, costing more than all the other mods to the truck combined. I understand that doing this with a diesel truck is a compromise at best, even with heavily investing in sound deadening throughout the interior, firewall, fenderwells, underbody, and hood.

If pilot injection works, I'll go with it.

Thoughts?

Would that not greatly accelerate the amount of garbage loading up in the EGR cooler and valve? If the truck was seeing lots of heavy use I probably wouldn't mention it, but seeing as how it's basically going to be at an idle for long periods with limited load, isn't that pretty much the recipe for disaster for any EGR system?

No soot at idle. Just inert gas being mixed back in. He will probably have it idle'd up around 1800rpm.

it *significantly* helps quiet down idle on a duramax. Should have the same result on the PS.

I don't know about the additional wear on the injectors, but I've ran it before. It does quiet it down, but not nearly as much as a common rail fuel system with multiple shots per cycles. In fact, it's kinda hard to distinguish whether it's on or off.

I quit running it because since Ford changed the injectors to inductively heat themselves on start up, the SCT tuners have had a harder time enabling PI. In order to get it to work, they were throwing extra fuel at it. So I was smoking a lot and 'wasting' extra fuel.

I haven't investigated in over a year, but that's the last status I got. Anyone have any recent/current results to report? Thanks.

You can always crank back the timing and it will quiet down at idle. However when you pass out due to being overcome with raw fuel vapor you might not enjoy it.

Back