pilot injection

quarterman

Georgia diesel mafia
Does anybody make a program or downloader to turn off the pilot injection on as CR besides the standalone bosch unit schied was playing with. I'm not even sure it but if anybody knows or has such capability can u enlighten me on pluses or minuses from doing this.

no such thing yet Darren except for the Bosch and I'm not even sure it would do it.... I'd guess the 15K unit probably should for that kind of money. The ball field is open to you brotha

I know Schied ran into problems in their testing. They made 1200hp on the chassis dyno ... something about hurting the engine though.

Is the rumor true about efi live for a cummins. If so will it have this capability.

from what I gather reading the other threads about it.... maybe but, it's a long way off and probably several blown engines in between

In the Dmax the pilot injection shuts off in even a factory tune above a certain RPM. I would imagine the CTD does the same but don't know for sure.

With the standalones I would think even if there was no true "off" then you could maybe turn the pulsewidth down so low that the older solenoid-based injectors essentially don't fire. The newer piezo injectors are fast enough that I think you'd have to turn them completely off.

In the Dmax the pilot injection shuts off in even a factory tune above a certain RPM. I would imagine the CTD does the same but don't know for sure.

I'm pretty sure the Dodge fires the pilot injection, no matter what RPMs. Maybe Bob or Marco will chime in on this one, I'd like to know for sure also

I'm pretty sure the Dodge fires the pilot injection, no matter what RPMs. Maybe Bob or Marco will chime in on this one, I'd like to know for sure also

Could be. Back in the day when I ran the Edge Juice on my LB7, when the PI shut off you could hear it instantly. It sure sounded pissed off but it went like mad. It shut off somewhere between 2800 and 3200 IIRC.

Now with ECM tunes (non harness box) it is much less obvious...with something like EFILive it does not have to be a night and day switch but a gradual tapering off, if that makes sense.

So if on the CTD there is no change in the sound through the RPM band at WOT, then maybe they are using it all the time.

And maybe that's a factor in hurting the pistons. Dunno. I have heard third-hand about an errant Dmax tune which left the PI on when it shouldn't have been, and it ate right through the pistons in short order.

Why can't marco include this as one of the options in the revo tune. Or at least and rpm shutoff point. I think this might help a lot of the CR engine problem when big injectors and big fueling programing is present.

Wonder if there is no provision to shut it off in the ECM code. It sounds easy enough but if no "off switch" was in the original program then I'm not sure if you could create it out of thin air.

You'd have to create the command and then have various tables go looking for this new table which didn't exist before.

I may be way out on a limb though.

Meh, everything is programmable. i'm currently hacking an export/import script that was for an older thing into a totally different database. :)

Pilot Injection!! Can it be turned off??? Anyone know? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

^ Darren, I asked this question back in Feb. 09 with the above thread...

Lately it seems that most folks think that the POST injection event is the one causing all the problems with pistons melting...

I'm not sure which event would need to be shut off or if just one main event is the key to the CR being fast and reliable...

I hope someone figures this out soon though....This next build will be my last if it get damaged due to the current programing...

Pilot Injection!! Can it be turned off??? Anyone know? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

^ Darren, I asked this question back in Feb. 09 with the above thread...

Lately it seems that most folks think that the POST injection event is the one causing all the problems with pistons melting...

I'm not sure which event would need to be shut off or if just one main event is the key to the CR being fast and reliable...

I hope someone figures this out soon though....This next build will be my last if it get damaged due to the current programing...
Keep searching back through the CompD archives... Don/Marco/Tim/Bob posted in a thread ~2 years ago they'd tried it on the dyno and it's left in for a reason now.

Well if I understand it the PI starts the burn early so the final injection of fuel doesn't have the diesel knock from its explosion like a 12v. To me this could be one of the problems because in a 12v the injection of fuel and how much u can burn is controlled by timing and how quick you can get the fuel throught the tip before TDC but over fueling will actually do some cooling. In CR because the burn starts early and the pressure of injection the fuel is burned more completly and overfueling is almost impossible which makes intense heat on top of the piston and for a longer period of time. Plus bigger injectors and more pressure would make the pilots deliver more fuel to create a bigger fire before the final injection. So to me the problem would snowball. But what the hell I know I'm just a grease monkey.