pintle lift questions?

derek528

I've been seeing different pintle lifts on injectors, and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the subject. Commonly I see two different lifts, .10 and .015. Say you have two injectors that are 5x.012 everything is the same except for one has .010 pintle and the other has .015, what would the performance difference be? Roughly how much hp would be gained?

From what I have read, in order to increase pintle lift, the tip of the needle is ground off to increase fuel area in the end of the nozzle. Is this correct? How is pintle lift measured? If an injector has .010 lift and it is disassembled and .005 is removed from the tip it would then be .015 lift correct?

What is used to grind the needle?

What is the lift of a stock 215 injector? If a stock 215 HP 5x.0105 injector was modified to increase pintle how would it run?

Any info is much appreciated.

Derek

How much could i take off my pintle to see efficient gains w/ stock bodies and 5x.017 nozzles set at 260bar?

Anyone have pictures of the break down inside a 12V & 24V injector? I would like to know the proper names and jobs of each part.

n506865912_642577_9045.jpg

1. Sealing cone
2. Screw thread for pressure connection
3. Holder body
4. Nozzle-retaining nut
5. Intermediate disk
6. Nozzle body
7. Nozzle needle
8. Nozzle-body seat face
9. Injection orifice
10. Fuel inlet
11. Sleeve nut
12. Edge-type filter
13. Leak fuel connection
14. Leak fuel port
15. Shim
16. Pressure passage
17. Compression spring
18. Pressure pin
19. Pressure Pin
20. Locating pin

Pulled this from Weston a while ago. Hopefully he will explain further for me.

Mic the pintle end to end, remove 0.005-0.020" depending, this is added lift. Adding lift on a smaller hone size will not be so evident. For comparison, back to back runs with a 5x0.014" no changes except 0.010" lift yielded ~ 40hp. I like to take a 5x0.010" nozzle and add 0.005" lift set to 260BAR, but I doubt you will see an increase of over 10hp over a stock 215hp nozzle.

It sounds like adding a little pintle lift to my stock injectors wouldn't really be worth my time. I'll probably just go with some 5x.012 or 5x.014's with .015 pintle lift set at 280 bar. Smokem, how do I get a hold of you for a set of your injectors? PM me prices if your interested.

Thanks

funny this should come up, I just looked at a set today that had lift added to the wrong side of the pintle. truck burned a piston....

You know Weston... I think you already heard about this one.

what is meant when they say the inj is dual feed?

pretty sure its an internal mod since there is still only one inj line to the top of it

thanks for the info

don

Interesting! i guess that companys name wont be shared here :( or

Weston, Can you PM me a price from your 24v injectors 7x.012
thanks!

There is a second passage added from the inlet to the nozzle, it follows the same path but offset. On the 12v injector for example that is pictured, the edge filter is removed and a feed is added parralel to the factory feed from the bottom of the inlet to the fuel gallery.

Can you do this to 24v injectors?

Just to add to a good thread

Here is the 24v cutaway.

Last edited:
wonder how much it typically runs to machine the second groove into a inj?

and how much its worth in flow?

is it req when the tips start gettin pretty big or what?

any benifit by doing it to a med size set?

say 5x14 or 5x16

Yeah. What is the break point where you need dual feed & when removing the edge filters?

I've heard from a couple 12V gurus that its not important to have the edge filters removed or dual feed to make high hp. Would you tell a big difference with 5X0.18 with & without edge filters removed? I've always had them removed.

I thought I have read that Weston recommends the dual feeds when you go to a 5x.016 or 5x.018.

Another question, when you say an injector is 5x.014 with .015 pintle lift, is that saying that the lift is actually .015 or that .015 has been added to the lift?

It'd be cool to see back to back dyno runs with equal sized hones but different pintle lifts, edge removed and not, and dual feed.

I've been seeing different pintle lifts on injectors, and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the subject. Commonly I see two different lifts, .10 and .015. Say you have two injectors that are 5x.012 everything is the same except for one has .010 pintle and the other has .015, what would the performance difference be? Roughly how much hp would be gained?

I have been looking and can't find an answer to this question. Obviously and sadly, Smokem's posts were deleted. Can someone fill me in please.

Thanks,
John