Piston choice for 12 Valve Puller

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
Got the motor out of the black truck Sunday, starting to get it ready for 2007 street class.
I have everything pretty much decided on what I'm going to change or replace, and with what, except for the pistons.

There are LOTS of different opinions on what to use..
I'm not building a Painter/Miller caliber motor, but the truck will have a LARGE turbo & streetability isn't a concern anymore.

I was thinking of using MARINE pistons, but I don't know if I want to drop the compression that much. The pistons will be fly-cut for a bigger cam, so I'm thinking marine will be a bit too much of a drop in compression.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm staying with the offset injection (12 valve head) so that is also a factor.

I'm not real sure what brand of Pistons they are but they definately the bigger bowls versions. I believe Piers told me he shaved .060 off of them to make clearence for the well over .500 cam and still have plenty of piston to valve clearence and drop the compression to the 15.5 area.

There were times when I had issues starting in the winter, but this year with new solenoids I can cycle the key once or twice and it fires right up. I did the other night after sitting for 15 hours at work, temps down to 18 and the Okrahoma wind blowing it's butt off.

Jim

I would call Piers and get a set of Mahle pistons. They are bigger bowls, Lower compression (15.75), and they are cheap.

got mine from EEP, 15.5 compression, larger bowl. there are pics in my readers rigs on TDR (bandit1). price was very affordable. as far as lowering compression for starting in cold weather, i used to have a hell of a time until i had took my pump off and had it tuned and the gov set properly, now it fires right up even on some single digit days. (thanks Jim in procedure for taking it off and tips). i am running a cummins marine cam and like it very much.

Bobcat698 said:
Got the motor out of the black truck Sunday, starting to get it ready for 2007 STREET class.

I'm not building a Painter/Miller caliber motor, but the truck will have a LARGE turbo & STREETability isn't a concern anymore.

Prolly not the best thing to post on the internet.

Forget the marine pistons.

Sledpuller said:
Prolly not the best thing to post on the internet.

Forget the marine pistons.

Why you are against marine pistons ? :what:

Back