Piston to valve clearance..........

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
I have been asked what I consider to be a "drop in" cam. For a general description it would be any cam that can be put into 99% of the trucks on the road that are how they came from the factory and have had less than
.010" total machined off of either the head or the block or a combination of the two.

That being said, I have seen people run their valves into the pistons with stock cams installed incorrectly, mis-matched components; poor machining to the block, head, pistons or valves, incorrect head gaskets, or bad lash adjusments.

Piston to valve is usually caused by one of the above, but can also be caused by valve float caused by excessive rpm or valves being opened by boost. Both of which are attributed to not enough spring pressure.

All of that being said, things do come out of the factory out of spec. from time to time which can cause issues. To be unambiguous, and so that you can feel safe about what you are installing, I use these figures to make sure things are good to go, If your block deck surface has not been machined, the cam gear you are using is the one that came with the truck, you have a straight keyway and the rocker arms are original on the truck, and the head gasket is OEM CUMMINS, then you will need .040" MINIMUM valve face depth to clear the cam on 24v models and .047" MINIMUM on 12v models.

This gives a little wiggle room so that you should be good to go. This is also assuming that, the lash is set correctly and that the cam was cut on centers correctly and is not a regrind or a cam that was cut on a manual machine.

This is a guide to make sure things don't hit, not to make power.

I like my valves to protrude .010"-.020" out of the head so that the low lift flow of the port will increase. In other words I like my valves up to .060" closer to the piston than I am telling you. For a simple guide use the numbers above.

If you do not have enough room here is how to remedy the situation.

If your valve is not deep enough in the head, you can either grind on the valve and seat to get a few thousandths. If you do not want to do a valve job, then you have the option of a thicker head gasket. to gain clearance.

3283335 STD
3283337 +.010"
3283339 +.020"

If you want the most power and you do not have enough clearance, don't worry about the valve job, or the head gasket, that is when it is time for piston machining.

When people ask how much fly-cut of the piston is needed to clear a cam, I can give you two specs, what will make the engine more efficient or what will make it easiest for you on the install. Please specify what you want to hear when you call.

For instance we say that the 200-220 is not a drop in cam, but it can be if clearances are correct and you will take the time to do the math. If you don't want to do the work, we say that .080" is needed, which is just not true in most instances. On our big cams, I have had people say that our cams are crap because I tell them they need to cut the pistons .150". They say it must be a small cam because Haisley and Scheid tell them to cut .250" off of the piston, so I must be giving them a baby cam even though duration and lift are in the same ballpark.

In short I am a little haggard from all of the misinformation and games. It is really not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. For what we do with our cams, if all is OEM excepth the cam .040" valve face depth on 24v and .047" 12v will let you run our "drop in" cams.

If there is enough desire for it, I will come up with a formula to account for valve face depth, piston protrusion, rocker ratio, head gasket thickness, centerlines and lash to account for Piston to valve clearance. If any further information is needed, please feel free to post up any questions you may have. I hope that I have put this information in a way that is easily understood.

Zach

Last edited:
What's the difference between say a Haisley cam and one of yours. Obviously there are alot of options but I'm just curious how your in the same ballpark but they want bigger reliefs. Or is it that "fudge factor" being built in?

I do believe its 235/255 .351/.375, and i would assume he is comparing it to your 232/252 .370/.370

There is differences in ramp rates which affect piston to valve clearance, but I think a big portion of what you are seeing in regards to the fly-cuts is fudge factor.

Just an FYI on our 188-220-108 we suggest .040" valve face depth on the head to get a .050"/.070" Piston to valve clearance using a stock head gasket and a .020" piston Protrusion.

I suggest .030" Piston to valve clearance as an absolute MINIMUM at TDCE. You can use this as a guide to figure what your piston to valve is within a thousandth or two. This can be measured with basic tools like a straight edge and a feeler gauge.

Here are the assumptions on a 24 valve
piston protrusion .020"
exhaust valve depth .040"
intake valve depth .040"
head gasket.054" CR to .058" 98-02 24 valve
Intake centerline is 99 degrees
Lash .010" intake .020" exhaust
Factory rocker ratio

If anything in your setup is different add or subtract accordingly.

So if your piston has .024" protrusion, subtract .004" from the .050" for a .046" piston to valve

If you have .024" piston protrusion and .030" valve face depth then you would have .014" less clearance than the .050" or .036".

If you calculate less than .035" then I would suggest playing with intake centerlines to get the clearance correct. This can be done with offset keys from a vp-44. You can call the office to get the correct offset for your application.

If that does not remedy the situation, then you will need to think about a thicker head gasket or fly-cuts.

Does this make sense? More or less if any of the variables change, then you need to account for the difference.

Ok I'm building a 12v and I have already ordered your 188/220 , 165# springs, keepers and retainers , and HD push rods. My question is, is the valve depth different from intake and exhaust? I have .047 on exhaust but only .030 on the intake valve. It is a new cylinder head from pure diesel power. I'm using a .010 over gasket and piston protrusion is .029 . I would rather not fly-cut either.

For the 12v, I suggest .047" Minimum with a .020" piston protrusion. You are good to go on the exhaust but on the intake you are not.

+.009" on the piston and +.017" on the intake valve. I suggest a .020" gasket to get it to clear correctly.

Valve depth can vary a little bit depending on who sets your head up. it is not a problem that the intake and the exhaust vary compared to each other, but just make sure they match intake cylinder to cylinder and exhaust, cylinder to cyliinder to make sure piston to valve clearance is the same on all cylinders. I actually like my intake less deep in the head as low lift flow comes up a bit.

Zach

Thanks for the information. I would rather be safe with it all. I was thinking just get the valves cut and use the .010 gasket would put me right where you say I need to be. If I did just the .020 that still wouldn't be enough right? Still leave me with .006 on the intake side.

Well talk to a local machine shop and read other threads that you have posted Zach. I didn't really want to but the best way was to just fly-cut. Like you said to keep the valve as low as you can for low lift flow. I did check cylinder to cylinder on both intake and exhaust. They were not as close as I thought they would be.

Intake varied .007 and exhaust was ok .002 I made them all with in .002

I just went ahead and got the pistons cut .030 just to be sure I had enough room. I cut intake and exhaust. I know I didn't have to cut exhaust.
Once again thanks for all the advice. I have called you a couple of times too. Really a great guy to buy from.

No worries, glad we could get you taken care of. .007 is not horrible but .002 is better.

If you need anything else, let me know anytime.

I think my head is unsatisfactory after reading this. Cr head, #1 intakes have the least depth at .024, while the deepest is #5 exhaust at .043. All of the others vary between those #'s. Piston protruding .006 on #1 and the #4 sticks out the most at .014. Installing a 188/220 cam.

Well I just wanted to say thank you again for all the help.

Started and went through break in on the 188/220 I got from you.
The test drive was amazing and feels like a different truck.

Turbos start building boost at about 1400 rpm's and when it starts it builds fast. Haven't been able to do a wot run. Breaking in the new engine too but it feels a lot stronger on the bottom end already.

I am 100% satisfied with everything I have gotten from you.
I will for sure purchase in the future. Hopefully if people will stop being DB's and nit run you off. Ha.

Well I just wanted to say thank you again for all the help.

Started and went through break in on the 188/220 I got from you.
The test drive was amazing and feels like a different truck.

Turbos start building boost at about 1400 rpm's and when it starts it builds fast. Haven't been able to do a wot run. Breaking in the new engine too but it feels a lot stronger on the bottom end already.

I am 100% satisfied with everything I have gotten from you.
I will for sure purchase in the future. Hopefully if people will stop being DB's and nit run you off. Ha.

There is no way you are feeling more power, didn't you read the other threads that say that cams do not work, add no power, no help with spool-up. I just don't believe you!

Just playing. Thanks for the update.

Chris,

If you could post up your protrusions across the board and your valve face depths, I could help you figure out, what was done and where to go from here. Sounds like maybe the head or block was decked a little crooked

Zach

I will be calling you in the morning Zach, I have mine and another to spec out as well.

I did cal and talk to Ryan on these #'s, and they are a little tight. But for the public to see how this is cured, I will post my #'s and ask Zach to break it down for me again.
PP=Piston Protrusion
FI Forward Intake Valve
RI Rear Intake valve

I am pretty sure that is understandable, but maybe not.

#1 PP .010 FI .024 RI .024 FE .034 RE .035

#2 PP .013 FI .030 RI .031 FE .038 RE .038

#3 PP .013 FI .033 RI .033 FE .042 RE .042

#4 PP .014 FI .038 RI .033 FE .040 RE .039

#5 PP .010 FI .035 RI .034 FE .040 RE .034

#6 PP .013 FI .032 RI .028 FE .035 RE .037

I will have a 3 hour round trip to get these 3 or 4 tight spec valves ground down, so I am wanting to pull my cam back with a keyway (which I have). This should give me the space needed. Thanks in advance Zach for the help.

1 PP .010 FI .024 RI .024 FE .034 RE .035

#2 PP .013 FI .030 RI .031 FE .038 RE .038

#3 PP .013 FI .033 RI .033 FE .042 RE .042

#4 PP .014 FI .038 RI .033 FE .040 RE .039

#5 PP .010 FI .035 RI .034 FE .040 RE .034

#6 PP .013 FI .032 RI .028 FE .035 RE .037
Retard the cam 1.5 degrees and get your shallow valves to match your deeper ones and you are good to go.

Thanks Zach, I was trying to avoid the valve grinding, maybe I can move them around and get better numbers. I bought the key from you and believe it will be a 2 degree retard. Correct me if I am wrong please.