Pistons

luke h

I was wondering what everybodys opinion on pistons was. Stock, 155*, CR, Marine, Arias, Ross? For a Street driven truck or a trailered truck?
Any opinions appreciated!
Luke

I have marine pistons in my truck. they have .080 fly cuts. they are also swain coated with tcb domes, and pc9 skirts. im just now getting the motor broken in, it is a daily driver, but it white smokes under 60* (enough to set off my smoke alarm in my house)

compression

Do you know what compression you are running? Does the smoke clear up?
Luke

what and where did u get your marine pistons please let me know mim building a 96 that is going to b strictly pulling truck only comp is going way way down any info would b greatly appreciated

Do you need to match injector spray patterns with the specific type of piston, i.e. marine piston needs marine 370 injector spray angle? What do different spray angles do, is it a timing thing or piston bowl thing?

Yes, the spray angle must be matched to the piston bowl. When you add timing, it's easier to accidentally spray outside the bowl which results in a less complete burn. I think I've got that right, but I could have missed that day in CompD school. ;)

brnaodn.

Another piston question - why would you need to fly cut a marine piston when using say a factory or a Helix 2 camshaft. Is it needed for valve relief?

Fly cut

They wouldnt need to be flycut for a factory or a Helix 2. I intend to run a .450 cam which requires .080 intake and .060 exhaust fly cutting.

luke h said:
I was wondering what everybodys opinion on pistons was. Stock, 155*, CR, Marine, Arias, Ross? For a Street driven truck or a trailered truck?
Any opinions appreciated!
Luke

I like the Cummins pistons, cut, coated and balanced....:rockwoot:

Right now I presently like the 04.5 CR units.... enough material in the top for bowl modifications.....

Last edited:
RacinDuallie said:
I like the Cummins pistons, cut, coated and balanced....:rockwoot:

RacinDuallie,
For a DD , is the cuting neccesary?
Is the balance check a good idea anyway?

WAYNES WORLD

pistons

LukeH,
I just ordered myMarine teflon coated skirt piston kit from City International for $128.25, rings included, [3800756]
I priced Cummins $177. I priced Scheids, $190. You do the math.$.02

What I'm trying to say is shop around before you lay down the $$$$.

WAYNES WORLD

Tell me you didnt

Tell me you didnt man! I had them priced from Internal Engine parts center out of jacksonville for $106.18 a hole. Part number is 286140-wr right. Hell they even sent me a complete catalog on Mahles. But I wont be able to get my motor going till I go back to work! (broken arm) But the bank is going to help me get the motor back together but dont want to refinance now since loan insurance is paying my truck payment! :hehe:

Sure is nice when the loan officer calls and tells me not to pay my truck payment till I go back to work, glad i signed up for that!
Luke

pistons

luke h said:
Tell me you didnt man! I had them priced from Internal Engine parts center out of jacksonville for $106.18 a hole. Part number is 286140-wr right. Hell they even sent me a complete catalog on Mahles. But I wont be able to get my motor going till I go back to work! (broken arm) But the bank is going to help me get the motor back together but dont want to refinance now since loan insurance is paying my truck payment! :hehe:

Sure is nice when the loan officer calls and tells me not to pay my truck payment till I go back to work, glad i signed up for that!
Luke

Luke,

i wish you would have said that 2 days ago when I was shopping for them.:bow: But I did better than the Cummins guy.$.02
Besides , shipping would have eaten up a lot of the difference.:poke:

WAYNES WORLD

True

Thats true, Whats you plans for a cam? If needed for the cam, are you going to fly-cut or just shave them?
Luke

Back