Please critique my build

Vice97

I've got a 97 ex cab 4x4, 5speed that I am starting to build "a little bit". I've got a Hamilton 188/220 cam, head studs, fire rings, the pump will be benched Dan at Columbus told me to expect 600cc when he's done. I don't have injectors or turbo yet, I would like some experienced advice on what to run. I am going to use the truck as a daily driver/mabey "occasional farm stock puller". I want as much power as I can get in a streetable truck. I'd like to get some advice on what kind of turbo/injector combo I should run to accomplish this. Also what is the highest pump timing I can run and still depend on my truck to start in the winter. any and all other imput is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

S467 and some 5x.018's if you wanna stick with a single. That turbo has been upwards of 700hp if i remember correctly. Where are you from and what kind of temps do you see when its winter? If you want to go to twins I wouldn't go more than a 64 secondary (small turbo) on a 12v just cuz they can't spool turbos quite as well as CR's can. So an S364/S475-78 would be a nice set of streetable higher HP twins. Streetable to me and streetable to others will vary a bit since I drive a S472 single on my 12v haha

My HP quote for a 67 was on a 12v btw. On CR's they have been 800+ hp

How street friendly is your setup? Spool valve with 72?

OP. You should set a hp goal. Then go from there.

Last edited:
On the timing issue ,I'm in ky so it gets pretty cold some times. If I run that S467 and the 5x.018s what do you think I'll be looking at as far as EGTs go?

my 67 on a 12V was quite controlable EGT wise even with a 13mm pump. you should do well with timing in the mid-high 20's

I did 730 with a 467, it had more in it

As far as a HP goal is concerned I didn't want to pick a number that isn't streetable so I'm just aiming for the most I can get with street friendly exhaust temps and a single charger.

my 67 on a 12V was quite controlable EGT wise even with a 13mm pump. you should do well with timing in the mid-high 20's

I did 730 with a 467, it had more in it

What size exhaust housing and injectors were you running with this.

anything is streetable, just depends on what you plan to do with it

5x16's and a 67/83/.9 was the setup, simple, fun

tell me if you think this will work for me: 215 pump maxed at 600cc w/5000gsk, hamilton 188/220 cam with tappets push rods and springs, firerings, headstuds, S471/87/.90 with a set of 5x.017s. im looking for 750hp or better that will be cool enough to tow with. would this be laggy or spool to fast or be just right. if not lets have some suggestions. I could set and read what you guys know about these trucks all day. Thanks

I would say it would not. Too big of a turbine, too high of horsepower goal, low drivability. I'd go with twins they are very hard to beat, something like a 62/65 over 78/96.

Thats going to be hot and smokey below 2k rpm, how heavy are you talking about?

I'm not really doing any heavy towing just want to make sure I don't build it so that I can't when I need to. (Farm equipment, 550 case dozer, hay) that kinda stuff. So I guess I probly need to drop back to the 467 and some 5x.015s or something like that then? Mostly it's gonna be a daily driver/grocery getter.

The 67 is the biggest I would go with a single and still wanting to tow. Any truck that I wanted to tow with more than once or twice a year would get a set of twins. 600+ hp singles are for toys IMO.