Please help choose parts for my rebuild

kas83

After reinstalling my head and adjusted my valves, or should I say mis-adjusted the valves, and bending all 12 pushrods, my motor needs to come apart. #3 took the worst hit, and it left some nice gouges in the piston. Head is getting checked out, and will get new valves if necessary. I'm going through the motor top to bottom, I'm not taking chances on this one.

I need 2 pistons for sure. Also need a full set of pushrods. It will get re-ringed and new bearings at the least. Now, do I go with just 2 stock replacement pistons, or go through and replace all 6? Stock replacements, or some type of aftermarket deal? Stock replacement pushrods or upgraded aftermarket? Doubt the rods were in any way damaged, but will have them checked just to make sure. As long as the motor is out and apart, I'm going to send the cam out to be reground. And I will also be installing a Fluid Damper while the motor is out.

Head has been o-ringed, has 60# springs installed, and I will install studs when I put it back together. I'm going to do some porting to it myself, seems like most have had good luck with that.

Plans for the truck are to be a weekend puller, tow a 8-10k lb trailer every now and then, and to be driven to work and on errands on occassion. Basically need it to be able to handle daily driving duties, although my car will for the most part be used, with the truck getting used once in a while.

Planned near future upgrades to the truck will be a set of larger DDP injectors than my Stage 2's, 4K GSK, mild pump work, 64mm turbo, upgraded intercooler, upgraded tranny and dual disc clutch, and other miscelaneous stuff. But the motor needs to come out and is first priority. Will be building the motor to benefit most from these mentioned upgrades.

Sorry for the long post, just want everyone to have a good idea of what I need, what I want to do with the truck, and my plans are. Thanks for any and all help.

Anyone have any input? I asked a few of the shops around here, they say either put it back to stock, or build to turn 5k rpm and ride around on a trailer if I want to pull with it. I know alot of guys pull their trucks on the weekends and drive them during the week. Just wondering what to do.

Looking for a usable 500 rwhp, not looking to be competitive with pulling, just want to put on a show and have fun.

JMO, but I would put it back to stock.
If your shooting for 500-600hp, than stock is good.

BTW, stock Cummins pushrods are only $4.00 a piece.

Ok, I've been leaning towards just going with stock components. Prices seem pretty fair from the one local shop. Should I just replace the two bad pistons, or get all new ones? Like I said earlier, I plan on re-ringing it and put new bearings in it, so everything will be apart. None of the places around here have the pushrods for $4, $7.50 a piece seems to be the cheapest I've found.

I got my pushrods and all my parts from CumminsNPower.

Looks like there is one not to far from you. I would give them a call.

CUMMINS NPOWER, LLC
7815 CAMP PHILLIPS ROAD
WESTON Wisconsin 54476
United States
Tel: (715) 359-6888
Fax: (715) 359-3744

As far as the pistons, I really dont know. If I was doing all that work, I would change all of them just for piece of mind. Anyways, I want to say stock ones arent that much money. Not sure though. If you are running marine style injectors, you can always switch to marine pistons.

Hope this helped.

Back