Pls help!! High EGT

Crossbrand

I just bought a 2005 Cummins. It had 78000 miles on it. Came with a programer wich I took off and it also had a 63 mm cheetah turbo and a straight pipe and glow shift gauges. Egts would get up to 1200 degrees no problem with a empty truck pulling a long hill. I thought Mabey the turbo wasn't spooling quick enuf so I ordered a hp tuner and got a cousin tune still the same problem! I even used the data logging to see if I was loosing boost to the intake but intake pressure and boost pressure are within .5 lbs! I am not a diesel mechanic by no means just checking things that I thought it might be. I am going to tow a lot with this truck so any info would be helpful! Also I have read that glow shift gauges are junk but wanted to see what you guy think before I spend the money! Thanks in advance and God bless!!

You can run 1250 all day no problem! But empty just means tune sucks! Get a smarty or other comparable tuner a new set of gauges and run it maybe there are injectors in there too?!

It was that way before the tune! Same guy did my 07 with efi live. I towed 22,000 with 100 hp injectors and stock charger and never seen over 1200 degrees! Injector flow rates all looked ok according to the hp VCM

So to be clear it hits 1200 to fast all the time or when climbing a long hill? Your gonna have to tow a trailer and see what happens!

It will hit 1200 on a short hill! Hauled a load of cattle this morning maybe 8000lbs I had to watch it so it wouldn't get over 1300. The tune is a tow tune! Like I said it ran the same stock with just the charger on it. Charger has Mabey 30,000 miles on it. It dose the same between shifting gears! It's a 6speed

What does it do in a lower gear with rpm's around 25 -3000? That's the rpm you should be at going up a hill!

About 1100 at 20 lbs boost in 5th with 8,000 lbs. but what's it going to do when I put 18,000 on it? I just don't want to melt it! I know 1100-1300 isn't bad but if you hold it there on a 3/4 mile hill it worries me. Lol Thanks guys for the info I really apreciate it. Keep it coming!!

Where is your boost gauge tapped in to?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They're usually on the drivers side, if it is and you're comparing it to the economy reading they're going to be the same. I'd check for boost leaks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

what is MAX boost? how is the smoke around town?

do you have any idea about the size make or balance rates on the sticks? a few bum injectors will cause the heat, but so will boost coming on too late. either way that charger should bring the heat down after being in boost.

im with the above poster. hook up a trailer, get it up above converter lock up and hammer down.... take note of max EGT's and most importantly HOW hard they ramp up and if it tries to level off on the big end. get out of the skinny pedal if you see 1400*

its either a lack of air or some dirty sticks.

My 05 acted up a couple months ago. The plastic intercooler had blown apart.

Back