point me in the correct direction please?

95cummins5.9

Old man ***** gossiper
Never thought I would be posting in this section, but both my 2nd gens have grenaded nv4500's. With that said I am/was driving a 99 7.3 loaner. Today driving, she turned on the low fuel light. Figured ok, stop at next town and top it off. Then all at once it starts sputtering and then died. I figured it ran out of fuel. Go get five gallon. She won't start. Can hear the pump on frame pumping , but with the top off the fuel filter, filter still in. I have no fuel pressure. But can still hear the pump faintly buzzing?? Fuel pump on the frame rail correct?? What else could it be? Thanks CompD

Here's my theory....

There's a pickup foot inside the fuel tank. That foot has a screen and a mixing chamber. Often times it gets clogged, causing fuel to get sucked in through the duck bill. When the tank gets low enough, the duck bill sits up over the fuel level, and it starts sucking in air, causing a loss of fueling to the engine.

You put in some fuel, but probably not enough to get the fuel flow going again. Sounds like the pump is trying, but it just can't pull that fuel in.

A quick fix to get back on the road is to disconnect the line from the tank side of the pump, and blow air in from an air compressor into the line towards the tank. Usually you can get that to knock loose some of the stuff blocking the lines. That should be enough to get the fuel flow going again. Also wouldn't hurt to add a bit more diesel in their too.

Anyway, that's one idea based on the symptoms you described.

Glad it worked for you too but I would highly recommend dropping the tank and cleaning it out.

Back