Polished or Chrome?

BC06PSD

Hairless Cat Aficionado
I'm looking at buying some new wheels from my truck. I've never owned any wheels other than stock. I'm thinking about Centerlines. Does anyone have opinions on these? I'm also thinking about Weld. I have a buddy that's had Weld his on three trucks and they still look new. Also what the difference between polished and chrome. Won't the polished last longer? I've seen chrome come off other wheels before. Thanks for any advise.

One more thing, who sells wheels for the lowest price. I'm looking for 17" since I just bought new tires no long ago.

Centerline and Weld both make a damn good wheel. Ive got a set of Helo wheels, and I love em. Mine are chrome, and I havnt had any issues yet with it coming off or anything yet.

I've been in the market for some wheels lately also and, from what I've seen you pay for what you get. Polished wheels are nice but some wheels will turn milky and depending on the product you use to clean them you could ruin the polish job. Even some polished wheel specific products will capture break dust and work as an abrasive more than a polish. I've never owned chrome wheels but I've been to a lot of auto shows to notice that these guys are cleaning their chrome wheels with Windex and maintaining the chrome mirror like shine longer. When it comes to chrome you get what you pay for. In some cases very light scratches can be the source of the chrome pealing away. What ever you do, stay away from the pep-boys specials, American Racing and similar companies. They sure look good for about a year but they wear like old beer cans. I’m probably going to go with the Teflon coated XD Rockstar and just avoid curbs. I like a dark looking truck:cool:

I have some Centerlines and love them, but they were polished and even though I cleaned them regularly, the brake dust ate them up. They are all milky looking now...I'm going to beadblast and powdercoat 'em though, so they'll wash easier next time. I looked into the Teflon wheels when they first came out and like the idea, just couldn't find it on a wheel I liked. Probably different now though...

My wheels are chrome on my 03 they look awesome i just go through the car wash and take a towel and dry them really good and thats it my 99 dodge had polished wheels and they looked good for about a day after polishing them then they turned cloudy its a lot of work to polish wheels though especially if u want them to look good i spend the extra cash and get chrome any day. I got my chrome wheels for a really good deal off my buddy because he was tired of cleaning them and he got black rockstars and they look killer and very little maintenence

Attachments

• EPs truck.jpg
    EPs truck.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I would go chrome. I recently bought a set of chrome Centerline 20s. They are the forged ones with 3 yr chrome warranty.

They shine like a mirror.

2251335130045160794S600x600Q85.jpg

I have polished wheels now. They are a pain to keep polished. To do it right you have to take them off to get around where the lug nuts go. If I had it to do over I'd go with chrome. If you get chrome spend the extra money and get good ones. Cheap chrome doesn't last long.

After having polished then chrome, I would go chrome. But even chrome requires breaking out the chorme polish sometimes to make them look really darn good. I think I'm going to get some black wheels with a chrome or polished lip next year. Probably KMC Backseats......

:thankyou2: Well I bought some Chrome wheels today. I decided on the KMC Diesel's. I was really wanting some centerlines but the turnaround time is 6 to 8 weeks. What do you think of these?:thankyou2:

Attachments

• diesel_big.jpg
    diesel_big.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 10
jflagg, some car detail places can spray some mix with acid on the wheels and then polish them when they get cloudy.

good choice the diesel wheels are clean.

I used to work for a tire and wheel store up in Oregon. We sold quite a few wheels and I would say more polished were sold just because they were cheaper. Welds and Center Line's were the most popular for the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and they are both top notch manufacturers. We never did this to any chrome wheels and I am not sure if it even can be done, but on the polished wheels we would take them to a powdercoater and polish them up and then get them sprayed with a clear powdercoat and baked and when that was done all you would ever have to do is wash and dry them. Brake dust and road grime just washed away and the awesome part about it is they would never dull out because the powdercoating sealed the polished surface. I haven't worked there for 7 years but it was about a $50.00 price tag per wheel to get them powdercoated but if you figure all the time you would be polishing them if they wern't powdercoated in my opinion is well worth the cost!

Back