Popped my charger...now which way to go?

syrupdawg

GA Diesel Mafia
I popped my billet 63/68/.70 Friday night and now im not sure which direction to take the truck. Its a 2005 and the engine in it has 195k miles on it but still runs awesome. The current engine has some oldish 75hp exergy injectors that probably need looking at. Everything else is stock besides the Spearco intercooler.

Option 1.) Leave the 5.9 in it and just go back with the 63/68. I liked it and it spooled awesome and made decent power.

Option 2.) Leave the 5.9 and swap to a t4 manifold that I have laying on the floor in the shop. If I do this since I will have to redo downpipe I just assume twin it since I have a billet s478/96/1.10 at the shop also. I will pull the head and stud it with valve springs and just go back with same injectors.

Option 3.) I have 2 6.7 engines that are sitting in the shop waiting to go into something. Both are bone stock. One has 28k miles and one has 50k miles. I could simply swap the 6.7 into my truck and buy a s467.7 and run it as a single on the t4 manifold. I would also pull the head and stud and valve springs while I was going. I would like to put 100hp motorsport injectors in it while I was going but that's stretching it with my wedding coming up.

I do tow with this truck a good bit so its going to need to be responsive.

Last edited:
as i was reading option 3 i was going to ask... how much time do you have on your hands? lol

if you really liked your setup before fix whats broken and do it again.

what killed the turbo? heat?
you can always sell some of your inventory and buy a turbo with a little better cooling capacity if that was the issue

I'd do compounds on the 5.9 that's already there. Make a 6.7 with a single look like a sick dog. The bottom end torque get's hard to resist though when your tuning it.

I'd do compounds on the 5.9 that's already there. Make a 6.7 with a single look like a sick dog. The bottom end torque get's hard to resist though when your tuning it.

Yeap, this is what scares me. I just upgraded from an HTT 62/71/13ss to a Billet 63/68/14. The new charger has much more bottom end. Makes me nervous about upgrading to a set of compounds with it. My luck, stuff will scatter.

That's the problem I'm not sure about doing it with the stock 200k mile bottom end

Call off the wedding, go all out with the 6.7! Im such a good problem solver!!

I say option 1. Don't mess with a setup that works for you and also need on a daily basis lol.

Agree with going compounds if you do tow with it. I wod think the bottem end would be fine on the 5.9. Im going to make this this switch also this spring.

Was it a ed 63? How hard were you pushing it? 50psi less or more...?

-------------------
2003 CR 100hp BMS injectors, ed 63/68 and the normal goodies.

1966 Chevrolet c10 12v swap currently in progress

Was it a ed 63? How hard were you pushing it? 50psi less or more...?

I won't say who's it was because it doesn't matter. It wasn't their fault. I found a crack in my inner cooler that has developed here recently. I'm pretty sure I over sped it

No I understand. I was just wondering how long it was ran at what level. Always wonder what these little buggers with take . Also I'd say do a a 6-4!

-------------------
2003 CR 100hp BMS injectors, ed 63/68 and the normal goodies.

1966 Chevrolet c10 12v swap currently in progress

Back