Popping/Sputtering problem!?!?!

Dodgentwo

Ok so here's the problem. Recently my truck seems to be runnin like chit! I dont seem to be getting the boost numbers I used to, and its got a real bad like popping or sputtering when I really lay into it. Also doesnt seem to have the power it used to. I adjusted the valves, didnt really help the problem. I have 3GSK springs installed and they are tightened down pretty tight. And it seems if I pu it to the floor, from about 2800rpm on it pops and kinda sputters.
I know I need to upgrade to 60lb valve springs, but do you guys think the valve springs could be doing this? Or is it just that the 3K springs are tightened too much??
Also wondered if it was maybe getting too little or too much fuel???
My smoke used to be black as coal, now its light grey. I know the new LSD probably plays part of that, but i dunno??? I dont have a fuel pressure guage on it to be albe to test the fuel pressure. If my pressure was dropping bad at WOT, would that cause this? Or am I floating a valve or something??:bang

Also could it be the fuel filter? It was changed a little while ago. Not exactly sure. Less than a year thought i think??

Any and all help is greatly appriciated!!
Travis

My truck does the same thing. I wish I knew why it was low on power and pops and sputters when you stab it. EGTs are not an issue on the street and I am only getting about 25psi. My truck has ddp4s, mikeys dvs, aeromotive a1000 pump and custom fuel system from tank to pump running 40psi, stock gov springs, and 100 plate. This is all on a stock turbo with 14cm housing because I can't find the fuel to push my Silver Bullet.

I would like to see ideas too.

My PSI is not that bad, I still get 35-40, but was getting closer to 50PSI. Its an HX55. Do you have any issues with you smoke seeming to be really grey or light? mine used to be like coal. Not just real light

Yea I know i HAVE to do something different about a fuel system, but just have not had 400 bucks layin around for a fass pump or something alike:( Have you guys changed the fuel filter to see if that helps?

40psi is where I have it set at. I didn't think I needed 50+.
The most I have seen mine drop is to 35psi.

My filters are new. I have only about 400miles on the whole system.

I am wondering if your timing has slipped and I need to advance mine.

My smoke is nearly absent. I get some light white/grey smoke when I stab it and it starts to sputter.

I had a motor that did the same thing awhile back. Finally took the intake manifold off to see the valves. You could see diesel blowing around the valve seats at higher rpm.

My 2 cents.

Could this be the case on a pump with stock gov springs?
On your truck were you getting smoke and/or power at lower rpms?

Thanks for the idea.

CC12V, Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does that mean? WHen you took the manifold off and saw the valves? And what was the fix?

MIles on your trucks ???? sounds like you are running out of fuel up top
try running it slowly up to high speed instead of stabbing it to the floor.
Timing slip could be an issue but sounds like you are running out of fuel up top . lift pump maybe getting weak .

97crewcab said:
My truck does the same thing. I wish I knew why it was low on power and pops and sputters when you stab it. EGTs are not an issue on the street and I am only getting about 25psi. My truck has ddp4s, mikeys dvs, aeromotive a1000 pump and custom fuel system from tank to pump running 40psi, stock gov springs, and 100 plate. This is all on a stock turbo with 14cm housing because I can't find the fuel to push my Silver Bullet.

I would like to see ideas too.

check your boots by the passenger side where it hooks to the intercooler it may have a leak. you have the fuel to do more than 25psi .

If I get into it slowly, it doesnt seem too bad. Still a little popping, but not near as bad

Dodgentwo said:
CC12V, Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does that mean? WHen you took the manifold off and saw the valves? And what was the fix?
I wanted to see what the valves were doing when all this popping started at about 3300 and up. So I took the whole intake off and started the motor. When the popping started you could see diesel blowing around the intake seats on the compression stroke. Pulled the head did a valve job and wala.
I can't say this is your problem but I tried everything in the book to figure out what the hell was going on. Different injectors ,dv's ,timing you name it. The valve seats just weren't seating.

I will look at the boots.
I know timing is off on mine because I have yet to adjust it. I woundn't think that would cause me to be completely low on smoke/power. I could see how it would cause the other problem. I can also run mine up slowly without the popping.
I am going to check boost and the work with the AFC and see where I go. Timing too.

I used to have the same problem, racing or when I would lay into but not if I eased the throttle. I have 3k's and 60lb so that doesn't sound like the problem. I fixed mine with a fass pump, after checking the FP I realized it was falling to 0 at wot. The mechanical pumps work pretty good but even they have limits. With the FASS I have eliminated the problem completely so that would be my guess is that you have the same problem

DONK78 said:
I used to have the same problem, racing or when I would lay into but not if I eased the throttle. I have 3k's and 60lb so that doesn't sound like the problem. I fixed mine with a fass pump, after checking the FP I realized it was falling to 0 at wot. The mechanical pumps work pretty good but even they have limits. With the FASS I have eliminated the problem completely so that would be my guess is that you have the same problem

HUM i have to agree that is why i said sound like they are running out of fuel up top ! :hehe: get to a point they need more fuel and a weak pump may not be keeping up.

Are there any other good pumps without spending all the money on a fass? Or will I be just as far ahead to spend the coin and get the fass?