Ports on 6.0 Perkins head

2wpuller

letting the smoke fly
Intake valve size is 1.766 and the exhaust 1.477
What is your opinion the port versus the 5.9.The valve lift is the same on int.and exh. .441 stock cam.comp.ratio is 17.5. bore is 3.937 stroke is 5.0.befor and after pic.of the ports only port matched and cleaned up the castings inside of them.What do you think the intake will flow.
122.jpg

125.jpg

Ehx.before matching to manifold.
152.jpg

after matching.
158.jpg

159.jpg

Intake manifold didn't have to doeny grinding on it.
160.jpg

Intake ports before.
124.jpg

154.jpg

150.jpg

After grinding.intake.
156.jpg

157.jpg

This a pic compareing the 5.9 and the perkins piston,rod,the piston look almost the same.
134.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
whats the diameter difference between the cummins/perkins wrist pins and mains ?

also a pic of the rods on edge side by side ?

and the pistons on their sides so can see wrist pin placement in the slugs.....

Last edited:
I have the perkins back together. the spec.on the wrist pin for the perkins is1.5628 on the rod bearing end is 2.646 length between centers is 8.624 .The piston hieght from the wristpin is .035 taller on the 5.9.
The piston bowls look very close I have some more pic.Will post tomorrow.

Dale

Looks like a 1006 perkins. I ran one for years in a tractor. 180hp, and at full load it burned 3gal/hr. Bone stock engine. Impressive efficiency, but lacking in water flow department.

I'm curious where this engine is going?

whats the intake stock valve angle? 30deg? i'd be surprised if it went over 110cfm. On a 4in bore with nothing touched as it sets on a 600 bench at 28inches im guna guess 102cfm. :hehe: i would definietly like to know after you flow it what it does. put a good 3angle and pick up 25cfm no problem.

Head is already on the motor.The book I have the angle at 30deg,for the YE motors.I didn't have time to wait to put it on my buddy's superflow bench it was beingworked on need a newpump.
he lookd at it and said it should be close to180 to 195cfm he has been doing flow work on heads for 30+yrs.I have to take his word on it.The shop that set the springs up was said the same. The pictures don't do them justice beleave me.I'm not doutting you.I still beleave in proof I am from the ShowMe state.
They still have alot straighter runner than a 5.9 head.I can take a 1.695 slug and slide it all the way down the intake ports.

Dale

Last edited:
I found the other perkins rod .Ill go get a 5.9 rod from my buddy what other messurement you want.

Dale

The partition between the intake ports, you should make a radius instead of a sharp edge. The edge can cause seperation and entail turbulence causing you port to flow less and forced induction only amplifies the problem. As for your pockets for the valve heads in the cylinder head deck, try to radius them so you have a smooth recovery area once the air enters the cylinder. If this area, the divergent side of the valve or chamber side, can be improved your flow will also stabilize some and fill your cylinder quicker and easier. Same goes for the convergent side, your intake bowl as well as the valve itself.

Did you do anything to the valve at all to try to improve the head flow?

I just smoothed out the ports they are alot cleaner than what I started out with this motor has alot of low end TQ.I know I would have benifited alot with a good port job.But I didn't have the time .I need to get it back together so I could get the motor back in the truck to start getting the allison 6sp in and make all the rest of parts.I don't take this motor above 3000.nevr had don't need to with a 5" stroke 3.93 bore.Boothe intake and exhaust pot matched to the manifolds.Thanks verymuch for your input.

Dale

Last edited:
Just remember, you can manipulate a port but the valve design can become a hindering component once a certain point has been reached, the only way you can tell that is with a flowbench and some R&D experimenting with different valves and wet flowing the head as well to see how the flow may be entering the chamber. This is where your discharge coefficient comes into play among other variables.

Have a good weekend!

impressive and im hard to impress :lolly:. nice and clean and the truck looks legit. thumbs up for doin somethin different... old school.

Thanks for the kind words.The truck has been driven daily and is used for towing trailers it was time for a make over.

Dale