Possible dumb turbo question

Silver6.0

I'm just curious to know what dictates the sound characteristics of a turbo(specifically units used on 6.0's). Basically I want to know what makes a turbo louder then another. It's my understanding that the only difference between the 03 turbo and the 04-07 is the number of fins the the turbine wheel. Is that all?

true, but unless you're dealing with a turbine blade that has a big clip on it, the number of blades makes the most difference on the exhaust side...

a 10 blade turbine will make twice the noise of an 11 blade... why? don't know :o

on the compressor side, the blade shape doesn't mean anything, it's the sound of the edge of the blade through the MWE/surge groove... the fewer blades the louder... the larger diameter the louder...

i dont know the differnece from a parts perspective but my 03 6.0 with 4 inch mbrp turbo back with kat del . screams like almost no other diesel. in the home depot parking lot a lady come out of her pants trying to get out of my way. she thought she was gonna get run over by a train. the turbo was simply spooling up off idle.

when my turbo goes a stock 03 replacement is going back on

03 is different than 04, and 05-07 are different too. There are three different ones.

My original question was just in general i was just using the 03 turbo as an expample

Yea i just recently swapped mine out for an 03 and there is no comparison this thing screams

lol, why not? :)

I've got a 70.5mm 10 blade Garrett GT turbine wheel in a VNT turbo... it's LOUD

and I'm good with that :)

heck, unless you run a packed muffler, a real "truck" muffler won't do much of anything to calm down the turbine

Back