Possible head gasket failure. Opinions welcome.

ThisPreston

Rookie
We've got a 2011 3500 with around 120,000 miles. It was deleted at 3,000 miles and tuned with H&S. Recently it has had sporadic spells in which it over heats and overcools up to 230-180. I've put a few thermostats in it to rule out the possibility of a bad tstat. Ive gutted one tstat and ran it for an hour or so and it eventually built temperature and was continuing to climb at 215 when I finally took it back to the shop. Every time I have had the tstat housing off the coolant was well below the tstat and the upper hose was empty. When I replace them I fill the head with water untill it is level with the tstat, fill the radiator and start the truck and let it run up to temp and bleed the air off the plug above the exhaust manifold. On two occasions doing this has fixed the problem for about 100 miles then it has the same symptoms. It is usually 3 qts low on coolant when I pull the thermostat. I am thinking that it has a head gasket issue but I wanted some expert opinions before I dive in. I'm sure this isnt the first time this has happened. Thanks in advance for the help.

So, it went in for a headgasket Saturday night and after driving to fkn near Cincinnati Ohio we decided we didnt want to make that trip twice. So, it will be coming home with 625s and a coolant bypass, a suncoast trans, fleece charger, nozzles, and Ben is gonna swap the h&s for a Cts and efi live and molest that little voodoo box, and tie up some loose ends.

So, it went in for a headgasket Saturday night and after driving to fkn near Cincinnati Ohio we decided we didnt want to make that trip twice. So, it will be coming home with 625s and a coolant bypass, a suncoast trans, fleece charger, nozzles, and Ben is gonna swap the h&s for a Cts and efi live and molest that little voodoo box, and tie up some loose ends.

Well that escalated quickly! BTW, welcome to almost Cincy.

Back