possible headgasket failure....

Wozxxx86

i need money
ok, ive gota slow leak in the coolant system, when i say small i mean like a pint a month. first off i thought that it was the heat exchanger thats under the turbo( it wasnt that) , then i washed the block to check for freeze plug leaks, and cracks, i say cracks cause the leak is almost at the very rear of the motor on the pass side. upon close inspection no cracks : ). so how likly is it that the hg is leakin but not getting oil into the coolant? any thing at the rear of the block that i havnt thought to check? ps 210k on the motor so i know hg will go eventualy

ok, ive gota slow leak in the coolant system, when i say small i mean like a pint a month. first off i thought that it was the heat exchanger thats under the turbo( it wasnt that) , then i washed the block to check for freeze plug leaks, and cracks, i say cracks cause the leak is almost at the very rear of the motor on the pass side. upon close inspection no cracks : ). so how likly is it that the hg is leakin but not getting oil into the coolant? any thing at the rear of the block that i havnt thought to check? ps 210k on the motor so i know hg will go eventualy

I drove mine about 6 months with two steam passages (very small holes) busted not leaking coolant into oil passages. Does your radiator expel coolant if you open the cap once the motor has cycled the thermostat? Does the overflow tank bubble when you shut down the truck? Is it filling the overflow tank? Does the upper radiator hose get really hard when running? These are all things I noticed when I blew the steam passages. You may notice one or two of them or all of them if you have an HG issue.

Mine eventually blew at the front by the thermostat. Do a search under my name I have many pics with explanation of what happened.

Good luck

I drove mine about 6 months with two steam passages (very small holes) busted not leaking coolant into oil passages. Does your radiator expel coolant if you open the cap once the motor has cycled the thermostat? Does the overflow tank bubble when you shut down the truck? Is it filling the overflow tank? Does the upper radiator hose get really hard when running? These are all things I noticed when I blew the steam passages. You may notice one or two of them or all of them if you have an HG issue.

Mine eventually blew at the front by the thermostat. Do a search under my name I have many pics with explanation of what happened.

Good luck

Don't overlook the heater hose clamps coming off the engine. Been there, done that.

mine has all of those symptoms. and i might add that its been like this for over a year. also that when its cold out (winter) it will pull more from the tank rather than me havin to add to the rad. i know i should looked into this sooner but findin time isa pain. and yes i checked all of the hose clamps.

i might add, when you say steam holes i assume that they are in the gasket?

thank you for your help all. i wish i had more money and alot more time so that i could do all the fancy stuff that id like to do with the head off lol.

Good luck

Thats exactly what mine does......:doh:

Hopefully my HG lasts longer till i have some money

you awda be fine, mines lasted1 year and ahalf, and its just now gettin worse. head studs are within my budget wether my ol'lady likes it or not lol.

you could get away with fresh bolts.... if you HAD to...

pullin the head ain't too bad.... i did it by myself without a hoist in a lifted truck.... hardest part was setting it back on the block.... i laid the gasket down, then 2 peices of cardboard ontop of it..... set the head on the rad support, climbed up and gently set the head down on the cardboard, lifted 1 end and pulled one peice, lifted the other and set the head onto the little pins/

the biggest thing i would say is to use a bottoming tap and a vacuum to really clean out those thread bores..... mine were full of coolant and oil

thanks for the advice. any other helpful tid bits ? also i plan on getting the A1's what do they do different that makes it so that theres no need to machine the rockers?