Possibles causes of P2146

dangerous06

diesel tech
Went through a period of time with this code popping up. Nothing ever found until I lost a bank of injectors. No codes just 2146. I tested the harness for the injectors perfect. Then I tested the solenoids and finally found a bad injector solenoid. For all those with this code it may be an injector solenoid acting up or on the verge of failure. Weird how even when it did fail the 2146 was the only code!? Figured I'd share this info because of all the help questions I found online.
On a side note when I changed out the solenoid the posts didn't line up anybody know why? I figured I screwed it on wrong but nope just was off??
I thought they were all the same since they all line up properly. Is there a spacer or something to correct this?

I got a truck doing this same thing. Only throws p2146. Ohm'd injectors: all ok. Replaced VC harness because 2 wires were getting some continuity: no change. I've looked at the wiring harness and can't find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went through a period of time with this code popping up. Nothing ever found until I lost a bank of injectors. No codes just 2146. I tested the harness for the injectors perfect. Then I tested the solenoids and finally found a bad injector solenoid. For all those with this code it may be an injector solenoid acting up or on the verge of failure. Weird how even when it did fail the 2146 was the only code!? Figured I'd share this info because of all the help questions I found online.
On a side note when I changed out the solenoid the posts didn't line up anybody know why? I figured I screwed it on wrong but nope just was off??
I thought they were all the same since they all line up properly. Is there a spacer or something to correct this?

The injector solenoid? They rotate inside of the retainer. You have to rotate it so it is turned about a qaurter turn off and then when you tighten the retainer it rotates the solenoid to where it needs to be. I did a few on an 05 and didn't think about that until I had the injectors in and ready for wires. Pissed me off.

Yeah the posts turn in the housing sometimes they are a little stuck but a slight tap will free them or if you have the solenoid off put it in a vise and gently tighten to push it in.
Remember that spring is critical to be in the hole perfectly when reinstalling!

My customer said it threw a code for injector #1 this weekend. I just swapped 1 and 4 to see if the Bank code will come back.

I've seen where an injector wouldn't ohm bad until...

we wired up another injector to the injector leads and ohmed the injector while the truck was running and the solenoid had full rail pressure against it...

luckily it was the #1 injector that was bad and it was the first one we tried.

I can't take credit for the diag, my buddy came up with that one, and I was blown away. we were getting a bank error

Forrest, I've been wanting to do the same thing, just don't have a good one laying around. That way I could try to narrow it down.

Swapped 1 and 4 since the customer said it threw a code for #1: no change, still throwing bank 1 code.

Swapped 1-3 with 4-6, still no change. Definitely wiring or ECM. Hopefully Mark has one.

One other odd thing I found. When doing Injector Cut Out with the Solus, #2-6 will cut and run on 5 cylinders. Almost every time I cut out cyl 1, it knocks out the whole bank.

Mine was doing the same thing. Had a couple of hiccups the month prior, then one day it completely lost a cyl. New injectors did nothing. Harness tested fine, but I had no scanner to diagnose the ecu. Took it to a mechanic to complete the diagnostics, and that's when everything was robbed. I'll probably try to get this ecu checked before using it on the new engine. If it's bad, efilive swap FTW.

Thanks! I'm really hoping for ECM. Definitely not the most fun thing to diagnose, but oh well.

I take it for granted that the injector harness was replaced and the harness plugs were checked?! I actually had a harness test good and fail then I wiggled it under the cover and bam worked fine again! That one got cut in half!

Replaced VC harness with New factory one, plugs look great, bent pins to ensure contact and dielectric grease

Just an update. Got an ECM from Mark, installed and changed vin: truck fired up and no injector issues. Take it down the road and it has no power. Pedal on the floor feels like 10% throttle. After 2 hours of playing with it (3 different operating systems, skim disable, etc) I gave up for the night. I'm getting 20k rail psi, but power is derated like crazy.

Got it fixed! The ECM was the issue in my case. Got one from Mark, changed the VIN, and it runs perfect now.

Side note, the old ecm wouldn't allow EFI to read the file. This could be cuz it's corrupt or because of a previous programmer.

Back