Post-Pull Clunking... Need Help/Ideas.

Pangela

Not here.
Pulled Friday and Saturday.
Everything went well, no obvious problems during the pulls.

After Friday, I noticed a very very small kind of bump when I stopped at an intersection.

After today's pull and I got home, it seemed more noticeable. When I come to a stop, and it downshifts into First, there's a clunk in the rear end.

I need help!

Any Ideas?

Check your rear drive shaft carrier bearing- Located in the middle of the split rear drive shafts. Or the rear universal joint....

RacinDuallie said:
Check your rear drive shaft carrier bearing- Located in the middle of the split rear drive shafts. Or the rear universal joint....

Ok, can I please get a "how to" on that? lol Seriously... it's so frustrating not being able to know how to check these things or do this stuff. I want to know how to do it all right now!! Grr!!! lol

Set the brake and put in park (or gear for manual) and crawl under your truck. With those boobs, I don't know how you are going to get under there, but maybe you can jack it up. Wiggle the drive shaft and see if it is sloppy on the u-joints. You should be able to tell if you lost one.

4x4dually said:
Set the brake and put in park (or gear for manual) and crawl under your truck. With those boobs, I don't know how you are going to get under there, but maybe you can jack it up. Wiggle the drive shaft and see if it is sloppy on the u-joints. You should be able to tell if you lost one.

Oh hell, they are NOT that big lol. Jeez. But they bounced like a mutha focka down that track lmao. Someone remind me to wear a sports bra next time!

I was remembering your previous avatar for those who aren't "clued in". :D

lol yes my other avatar... I've gotten a reduction since then.... However:

I did mess around under the truck. But I couldn't tell too much. Then my neighbor who's helped me with a lot of things, He owns an Performance exhaust shop, he got under there and wiggled the drive line around and saw that it was the Center Support and bearing.

Sooo, I went lookin for that. I'll KINDLY spare you all the details, as it was the disaster from hell. Bottom line is, dodge dealers parts departments are pretty useless, and Partsguy (Scott) was more helpful... which, I dunno what the hell that's sayin :P lol I kept poor Scott busier then a long tailed cat in a room fulla rockin chairs today, with phone calls.

I guess I'll have to take that support off and take the whole mess in so they can measure that center diameter in the shop and figure out which one it is. AND... Since it's lifted, I think the driveline was adjusted, because it's on a drop bracket in there and not the standard support.

OMG WHAT SPORT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF IN TO!

Its fun, you'll learn to enjoy spending more and more money knowing next weekend it will be somthing else that needs fixed.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that thought crossed my mind. Why am I doing this, full well knowing that something else is going to break.

It's very quickly making me insane.

Well since your already addicted to it, and your truck and pull like it does, I wouldn't stop there. Your ready for more performance parts.....

Looks like Jeff called it on the money this time. Lot of smart folks runnin' aound here, wish I was one of them. :D

Glad you know what it is, but sorry it will cost you some wrench turnin'. Enjoy.

4x4dually said:
Looks like Jeff called it on the money this time. Lot of smart folks runnin' aound here, wish I was one of them. :D

Glad you know what it is, but sorry it will cost you some wrench turnin'. Enjoy.
I went through them danged bearings so much- finally I was so fed up I removed the factory split rear driveshaft assembly and had a custom 1 piece drive shaft made up- problem solved!:evil

RacinDuallie said:
I went through them danged bearings so much- finally I was so fed up I removed the factory split rear driveshaft assembly and had a custom 1 piece drive shaft made up- problem solved!:evil

OMG.... NOW you freaking tell me. My neighbor suggested that last night. Grr. I'm still looking for the part too... but I guess I'm going to have to take it off and then drive to the store with my moped or unicycle and the part strapped on my back to match it to a new one :| GRR!

I guess I could take a taxi. That's messed lol

Pangela said:
OMG.... NOW you freaking tell me. My neighbor suggested that last night. Grr. I'm still looking for the part too... but I guess I'm going to have to take it off and then drive to the store with my moped or unicycle and the part strapped on my back to match it to a new one :| GRR!

I guess I could take a taxi. That's messed lol

take it off and drive in 4hi

try NAPA they usually have them things in stock. Dealers suck for that stuff and are gonna rape u on cost

BowtiedCTD said:
try NAPA they usually have them things in stock. Dealers suck for that stuff and are gonna rape u on cost

Yeah... Actually, Scott's been a life saver for me the last few days, and he told me in about 2.5 seconds flat which one it was and that he had it in stock, just probably couldn't get here by this weekend... So I've got a NAPA, here in Napa lmao, where I live, and they're having it delivered in from their other store so I can go look at it.

I'm about to take a tape measure out to the driveline and do my own investigating and see if the diameter's match up... Or at least that's how my brain thinks it should work LOL.

Here is the weakest link-after I changed out this part several times- I said goodbye LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 8
RacinDuallie said:
Here is the weakest link-after I changed out this part several times- I said goodbye LOL

"YOU are the weakest link. GOODBYE!" LOL

Hey, that's what mine looked like too! The one that Scott found was the RIGHT part. I owe Scott big time for that, when about 4 different stores couldn't find me the right one. Ugh!!

It seriously helped the clunk in the back end, but now the shifting is still rough... I might be low on tranny fluid though lol. I'll go figure that out today. Hope I buy the right stuff :hehe:

Back