power steering getting stiff??

daysel

What's the best way to drain the power steering fluid? I looks pretty dirty and I want to get all of it out.
When it gets cold, it is really hard to steer. Should I be running synthetic or some kind of additive?

Get a buddy, a bucket, a screwdriver and about 4-5 quarts of fluid. Look on the back of the pump and locate the low pressure return line, should be a regular old worm drive hose clamp. Take this line off and place it so the fluid will hit the bucket, have your buddy start the truck. Once the fluid stops coming out of the line cut the truck off and refill the reservoir on the pump. Repeat. You should now have cleaner fluid out of the line. Repeat as many times as you feel needed to get the level of cleanliness you want out of the fluid. It takes less than a quart to fill the reservoir so be sure to save at least that much to the side. If you can rig up a 3/4 or 1inch hose with a funnel you can add fluid while the truck is running, just don't let it run dry for too long.

You can use a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid as well. Then fill it up, turn the wheel a little bit, and then suck the fluid out again.

Its pretty dirty so i'll probably just take off the return line.
Thanks