power steering pump

dipapadakis

i just put a new power steering pump on my truck and the power steering is worse than it was before and its full of ps fluid i turned the wheel side to side at least 30 times, dodge calls 20x and been driving it, and still barely works, any ideas other than napa gave me a junk pump? how long does it usually take to bleed the air out? could it be the gear box?

I'm in need of a pump...subscribing for results.

I was hoping to get a Borgeson pump and box, but looks like that pool of money dried up. LOL

With the truck off, front wheels on jackstands, press the brake pedal to the floor about 5 times letting it come all the way back up each time. Now crank the truck and go side to side about five times being sure to crank it a bit hard at the end of stroke. There is an accumulator in the brake booster that can hold air and make bleeding the system a *****.

Will try that tomorrow, I've been driving it for the past 2 days and hasn't gotten any better... Figured it would have bled itself by now... Could it be the gear box?

Brakes seem to be okay, could the gear box make it hard to steer? I figured with a new pump if anything it would at least get better, I didn't jack the front up I just filled it up, started it up n cranked back n forth for a while, when I let out the clutch barely in gear it seems to work okaybut stopped its hard to steer after 1 turn even if I raise rpms....

You have air in the system for sure. One of these days I'm going to get off my azz and make up a cap so that I can hook a vac system up. Many times the air just gets into the fluid and is a biatch to get out of suspension.

You don't think the internal seals in the gearbox could be bad or the rotary control valve? What makes you think its air? Guessing this has happened to you? Wouldn't it have bled itself after 2 days of driving? They really that much of a ***** to bleed?

Air can get trapped in the system, with the cap screwed down tight it's hard for it to escape the fluid since the whole thing is under pressure. I have been told that a vac system hooked to the cap will work wonders for a system that is hard to bleed which is why I want to make one. The last time I replaced the steering box the system was great until it sprung a leak, since then it has been squealing/hard to turn at times. It's air doing it, no doubt.

okay thanks thats good to hear, well i jacked up the front end, turned back n forth about a thousand times(50 or 60) first without truck running then another 50 or so times running, been driving it for a week now.... will it ever bleed? ive put about 700 miles on it.... and still nothing.... only thing left is to create a vacuum cap im guessing? any other tricks anyone knows of?

Back