powerchoke

HURTS SO GOOD

Sled Puller
I'm not real knowledgable when it comes to a 6.0 liter. At work, all we have are Fords. We have a 05 F450 and runs terrible. I think the injectors may be bad. I'm wanting to pick you Ford Guy's brains. The truck gets about 7mpg when hauling nothing. If it gets below 60 degrees overnight it coughs and sputters and barely starts. Power wise it can barely get out of its own way. When we first got the truck it ran normal just low power and we put a superchip on it and something screwed up the ECM, so we did away with that. The EGR has screwed up twice. The dealer said they cant find anything wrong and that pisses me off cause there deffinatly is a problem.

you more than likely have a ficm problem when its cold. needs to be updated probably. and if your getting egr problems then you might wanna check to see if you have a leaking egr cooler.

20mpg with what tune?

Also the 6.0 was poorly designed to be used in fleet vehicles. They require more attention and maintenance than the average diesel truck. I know the one's I've seen at work where the mechanics don't know squat about the 6.0 so they fill it with green coolant and use crappy oil. They also don't realise the damage excessive idling at low rpm does.

so does a 7.3 have the same problems?
my 6oh has idled all night setting in livestock show lines and i've never had a problem

so does a 7.3 have the same problems?
my 6oh has idled all night setting in livestock show lines and i've never had a problem

No 7.3L don't have that problem, 7.3L barely have any issues, and their pretty minor if any. OP check the FICM and check for sticking Veins. Update the FICM, if possible.

Id look into the injectors as well, could be a cracked injector cup/sleeve. just food for though. buzz test the injectors as well. Check to see if your EGR coolers are puking, or your Temerstat may be stuck open, that's possibly why its only getting to 60 degrees.

Back