Ppump 24v Engine Build Completely, Need Input From Experienced Engine Builders Please

rcfreak24

Hey guys, I have a ppumped twin turbo 24v which recently threw a rod so I picked up a complete motor im going to be building and need some input.....

I have read many threads on here, AND cummins forum, but keep reading, and hearing different things from different people

Im looking to put together a motor that will hold 800hp and not have to constantly worry...

My truck currently is making over 80lbs of boost, but I know 800 isnt acheivable with my turbo set-up and I might need more fuel but, this thread is about building a motor, not turbos and pump work..

Keep in mind this is still a street truck....

So far this is what I plan on doing

a1 head studs (already have)
110 springs
hd pushrods
shotpeened 24v rods
new bearings
new gaskets
new rings (std)
main studs
fire ring or o ring block (which one?)
20 over head gasket
port and polish head
hone cylinders out (std)
fly cut pistons
cam (which one?)
Tappets? Rollers?
balance bottom end
charge air/spool aid

Now onto my questions..

Head studs, do I need 625's really? I dont have the cash for them really...

Freeze plugs, should I worry about them?

With pistons, should I run stock pistons?

Should I spend the money and have them coated? Some people say yes others say its a waste of money...

I know fly cutting them depends on the cam, but should I just have them cut .060 to be safe and work with "most" of the high lift cams? I dont want to loose compression much though because this is still a street truck, but I know it depends on piston protrusion too, I will have the head decked, thats why I will go with a thicker gasket, but, should I take maybhe .010 off the top of the pistons? I read with high boost you should lower compression a bit..? I will probably change charger set-ups after motor is together so im not sure what boost would be, but id say atleast 60....

Now onto rings, should I get fire rings or orings.. Planned on doing it in the block, just seems like, it would be easier when putting head gaskets on, less chance to mess the rings up than if they were on the head.. I heard fire rings are a good amount stronger but wear out sooner. How long would they last realistically on a street truck, it wont be driven everyday..

Onto the cam, which one? I thought about the hamilton 200/200 I believe it is, but I might be wrong...

What tappets should I use, or stock? Rollers?

Is a girdle really needed, honestly?? I will not be filling the block..

What about hd rod bolts and rocker studs, are those REALLY needed? Chances are I will NOT be turning over 4500rpm ever, or spraying nitrous...

With a fluid dampener, I was told its NOT worth the 450 or so on one if the bottom end is balanced and your not turning close to 5k, so do I need one honestly???

I can and have put motors together and rebuilt them, but were pretty much stock so id like input from all who have built "built" engines and pullers, id like mine to stay together if possible, but do it right the first time...

Let me know what you experienced guys think, what i should change, or what i should do or not do please!!

Thanks!
Kellen

Last edited:
What chargers are you using that make 80lbs of boost, but can't make 800hp on a p-pumped 24V?

i its a set of twins i put together, custom hx35/40 hybrid over a ht3b with 23cm divided exhaust housng.

If there are peopl who doubt I have a video posted on youtube, had to let out because tiressarted spinning but the road was damp. Needle goes all way around and hits peg at 0.

This thread isn't about turbos just yet I'm just wanting info about my motor build. Will make another thread regarding fueling and air at a later date.

Thanks,
Kellen

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a ppumped twin turbo 24v which recently threw a rod so I picked up a complete motor im going to be building and need some input.....

I have read many threads on here, AND cummins forum, but keep reading, and hearing different things from different people

Im looking to put together a motor that will hold 800hp and not have to constantly worry...

My truck currently is making over 80lbs of boost, but I know 800 isnt acheivable with my turbo set-up and I might need more fuel but, this thread is about building a motor, not turbos and pump work..

110 springs
hd pushrods
shotpeened 24v rods
new bearings
new gaskets
new rings (std)
main studs
fire ring or o ring block (which one?) O-ring if its a Daily driver
20 over head gasket
port and polish head
hone cylinders out (std)
fly cut pistons
cam (which one?) Use the search Feature. Lots of diffent cams for different builds
Tappets? Rollers? Rollers are not nessecary for a daily driver
balance bottom end
charge air/spool aid

Now onto my questions..

Head studs, do I need 625's really? I dont have the cash for them really...625's Are awesome IMO. They work well

Freeze plugs, should I worry about them? I'd do it if the block is fresh. Great insurance

With pistons, should I run stock pistons? Stockers cut and coated
Should I spend the money and have them coated? Some people say yes others say its a waste of money...

I know fly cutting them depends on the cam, but should I just have them cut .060 to be safe and work with "most" of the high lift cams? Choose your cam first I dont want to loose compression much though because this is still a street truck, but I know it depends on piston protrusion too, I will have the head decked, thats why I will go with a thicker gasket, but, should I take maybhe .010 off the top of the pistons? You dont want to lose comp if you dont have to. Puller only Then I'd do some work to the pistons I read with high boost you should lower compression a bit..? I will probably change charger set-ups after motor is together so im not sure what boost would be, but id say atleast 60....

Now onto rings, should I get fire rings or orings.. Planned on doing it in the block, just seems like, it would be easier when putting head gaskets on, less chance to mess the rings up than if they were on the head.. I heard fire rings are a good amount stronger but wear out sooner. How long would they last realistically on a street truck, it wont be driven everyday..
O-ring the block and the head.

Onto the cam, which one? I thought about the hamilton 200/200 I believe it is, but I might be wrong...

Stock should be fine
Is a girdle really needed, honestly?? I will not be filling the block..No

What about hd rod bolts and rocker studs, are those REALLY needed? Chances are I will NOT be turning over 4500rpm ever, or spraying nitrous...HD rod bolts are cheap and there great insurance. I wouldnt worry about the rockers

With a fluid dampener, I was told its NOT worth the 450 or so on one if the bottom end is balanced and your not turning close to 5k, so do I need one honestly??? I think it is worth it but to each there own. You can find um cheaper than 450. Also I'd drill and pin the crank aswell.

I can and have put motors together and rebuilt them, but were pretty much stock so id like input from all who have built "built" engines and pullers, id like mine to stay together if possible, but do it right the first time...

Let me know what you experienced guys think, what i should change, or what i should do or not do please!!

Thanks!
Kellen

Hope that helps. You should search some more.

Thanks for the information. I was just asking because with all of the searching I have done I come up with different answers as almost everyone has a different set up and different opinions about what's best, what works, and doesn't work. I know just because someone else is running a certain set u it might not work well for me, but , Just trying to gather the most information to help decide before I start getting things

Thanks,
Kellen

Thanks for the information. I was just asking because with all of the searching I have done I come up with different answers as almost everyone has a different set up and different opinions about what's best, what works, and doesn't work. I know just because someone else is running a certain set u it might not work well for me, but , Just trying to gather the most information to help decide before I start getting things

Thanks,
Kellen

You would almost be better off with a reverse search.Find out what does not work.I had the same problem when i did some work on mine.Different opinions/setups.Best of luck to you.

engine buid

this is my opinion

110 springs
hd pushrods
shotpeened 24v rods
new bearings
new gaskets
new rings (std)
main studs
fire ring or o ring block (which one?)
20 over head gasket
port and polish head
hone cylinders out (std)
fly cut pistons
cam (which one?)
Tappets? Rollers?
balance bottom end
charge air/spool aid

Now onto my questions..

Head studs, do I need 625's really? I dont have the cash for them really...I don't think you need them
Freeze plugs, should I worry about them? put new for insurance
With pistons, should I run stock pistons? stock and coat them
Should I spend the money and have them coated? Some people say yes others say its a waste of money... coated
I know fly cutting them depends on the cam, but should I just have them cut .060 to be safe and work with "most" of the high lift cams? I dont want to loose compression much though because this is still a street truck, but I know it depends on piston protrusion too, I will have the head decked, thats why I will go with a thicker gasket, but, should I take maybhe .010 off the top of the pistons? I read with high boost you should lower compression a bit..? I will probably change charger set-ups after motor is together so im not sure what boost would be, but id say atleast 60....just run a mild cam and don't fly cut, you don't want to lose compression....trust me

Now onto rings, should I get fire rings or orings.. Planned on doing it in the block, just seems like, it would be easier when putting head gaskets on, less chance to mess the rings up than if they were on the head.. I heard fire rings are a good amount stronger but wear out sooner. How long would they last realistically on a street truck, it wont be driven everyday..i fire ring everything and it works great with no failures.....just do the block, i never do the head

What tappets should I use, or stock? Rollers?use commonrail tappetsIs a girdle really needed, honestly?? I will not be filling the block..noWhat about hd rod bolts and rocker studs, are those REALLY needed? Chances are I will NOT be turning over 4500rpm ever, or spraying nitrous...rod bolts is worth it With a fluid dampener, I was told its NOT worth the 450 or so on one if the bottom end is balanced and your not turning close to 5k, so do I need one honestly??? i would run one

Thanks!
Kellen

If you do fire rings, do the block and head, but I would not recommend them for a street truck. O-rings will work well. Go with an ati dampener if you get one at all, but it is not needed. You don't need that big of a cam for 800hp. The billet freeze plugs that are held in place from inside the block are good insurance as well. Look into a coolant bypass too.

110 springs
hd pushrods
shotpeened 24v rods
new bearings
new gaskets
new rings (std)
main studs
fire ring or o ring block (which one?)oring it
20 over head gasket
port and polish head
hone cylinders out (std)
fly cut pistons
cam (which one?)
Tappets? Rollers? CR tappets
balance bottom end
charge air/spool aid

Now onto my questions..

Head studs, do I need 625's really? No, just would be extra insuranceI dont have the cash for them really...

Freeze plugs, should I worry about them? Yes

With pistons, should I run stock pistons? I wouldn't see any issues for your build
Should I spend the money and have them coated? Some people say yes others say its a waste of money...No

I know fly cutting them depends on the cam, but should I just have them cut .060 to be safe and work with "most" of the high lift cams? I dont want to loose compression much though because this is still a street truck, but I know it depends on piston protrusion too, I will have the head decked, thats why I will go with a thicker gasket, but, should I take maybhe .010 off the top of the pistons? I read with high boost you should lower compression a bit..? I will probably change charger set-ups after motor is together so im not sure what boost would be, but id say atleast 60....

Is a girdle really needed, honestly?? I will not be filling the block.. Not necessary with what you are wanting to do

What about hd rod bolts and rocker studs, are those REALLY needed?I would get the rod bolts for sure Chances are I will NOT be turning over 4500rpm ever, or spraying nitrous...

With a fluid dampener, I was told its NOT worth the 450 or so on one if the bottom end is balanced and your not turning close to 5k, so do I need one honestly??? I would suggest getting one, but up to you

Thanks!
Kellen

Here's an option for you:

Buy my ported/polished/oring'd 24V head from my 01 and sell yours. The amount of money you will save will help pay for alot of the parts mentioned above. I have a few other parts that you could use as well. See here:

It's all for sale! look inside --- - Page 4 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

This is where I become unsure of what to do.

Plenty of people say fire ring, plenty of people say oring. Honestly I PROBABLY will not drive it everyday but unless something happens to my other truck, it may get driven everyday... I dont want to have headgasket issues but I dont mind changing it every year or 25k miles or whatever if I fire ring, but I dont want to have issues if its -5 degrees outside and I need to use the truck, dont want one of the rings to break...

And coating the pistons, how much head can these pistons really stand before they start to melt? Ive checked and coating them seems to run around 500 bucks.. Some say coat them, some say its not needed...

Which cam would work good? I cant really have the pistons fly cut or coated till I know what cam im going to use and piston protrusion after I get the head and block decked..