ppump 24v timing question

gatorskinseats5

ok so I got this 215 pump 24v motor and I feel like it needs some timing. its got hellacious low end but falls on its face on the top end. it has 4gsk and no fuel plate, so im thinkin I might be hittin too much rack travel very quickly and retarding the timing. when accelerating it feels like a 7.3 with a hpop that cant keep up, pedal feels the same at half as it does to the floor. don't get me wrong it runs great, but I need more top end than that lol. my question is what is a rule of thumb to go by for timing a ppump 24v? The pump was rebuilt by enterprise diesel, whether it was built specifically for a ppump 24v or to whatever specs a 215 is normally set at, im not sure.

iirc a stock 215 is between 13-14* btdc, but would a 24v even run right with that little timing? Im just trying to get a good idea of how much timing to add based on what I may have already. if its worth anything, the timing pin lines up at tdc, but I know a shop can set a pumps timing and Id never know. also, would leaking ex man gaskets have THAT much of an effect on top end performance? im still pushin 35-40 psi of boost on an he351cw so I cant see it making that big of a difference but ill do whatever I gotta do to get it right.

Yeah bump the timing till it doesn't run right the other way.. Then back it up..
Running roughly 21 on my friends and it feels like it needs some more.

I am only running 18 on my truck and it runs great. It sounds like it has 30 on my truck and has crazy fuel knock when it's cold. I have verified that it's at 18 a few times and wondering if raising the timing will help or not. When it's cold and you just tap the throttle it knocks like it has major timing. What could cause this

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Currently at 26*, but using factory VP pop pressure. Will lower the timing when I have the pressures changed.

right where I was gonna put it was 24-26, only problem is its a mystery what its currently set at so.... idk how far to go up lol. I guess I can just bump it up til it runs wrong and back it up but that's a lot of trial and error and ive already dealt with enough of that with the swap alone to want to avoid it at all costs hahah

at what kind of timing would you guys say it quits pulling hard after half pedal? id give a rpm reference but my tach aint hooked up lol id say up past 2500 tho it loses juice, but pulls waaaaay harder down low than my 12v or 7.3 ever did. its almost a sick joke because it feels like its about to take the f&%k off and then runs outta steam lol. my shift points still need tweaked to more precise rpm ranges but it still definitely needs more top end, so you guys think it probably is set down near 14* the way its runnin? Its got 4k springs, no plate, and most likely a cranked up afc, but im not totally sure how much its cranked up. I cant wait to have this thing all buttoned up and runnin proper

guessing isnt going to get you anywhere, get a kit to set the timing off of plunger height.

our 24v ran like crap with the pump at 18, 24 deg woke it right up

I am fighting the same issue on my truck. P pump 24v, s364 over s480, 093 lines/tubes, 7x 014 injectors.

Its either fuel or timing. I hope its timing because more fuel = more money most of the time. Good luck with it!

guessing isnt going to get you anywhere, get a kit to set the timing off of plunger height.

our 24v ran like crap with the pump at 18, 24 deg woke it right up

guessing will get me nowhere but how can I adjust my timing to a certain number if I don't know what its currently set at? jesus christ

pin the pump and pin the motor. you are then at STOCK timing or what the pump was set for. like mine from seth, i had him pin time my pump at 18 so if i pin the pump and pin the motor, its dead on at 18 degrees and then i can make adjustments from there.

I have my truck currently set at 25.5* and no cold start issues. I was running 7*0.014" SAC injectors and had previously been running 30* when I dyno'd it and pulled it. Started fine even when it was 10* out and not plugged in. Dyno graph showed HP flat from 3200-3800 with a factory cam and 5k kit. I run all VP injectors lower than factory and my ppump 24V injectors get 280-290 bar. I liked the 30* but sucked for daily driving, 25.5* seems to work really well, truck is responsive and still quick for what it is. Currently my truck pulls like an animal over 3000 rpm to over 4000, granted im going to be redoing my setup when I go to compounds.

Last edited:
pin the pump and pin the motor. you are then at STOCK timing or what the pump was set for. like mine from seth, i had him pin time my pump at 18 so if i pin the pump and pin the motor, its dead on at 18 degrees and then i can make adjustments from there.

its a 24v so no engine timing pin, but like I said the pump timing pin lines up at tdc. im just not sure what the pumps timing is currently set at and neither is the guy I bought it from. I have no way of knowing what the timing is currently set at unless it is just stock 215 pump timing which is like 13-14* but who knows if that's what its actually set at.

i had mine running at 21*. going to change it soon to 24*. that seems to be the magic number that everyone with 24 valve goes with.