Priceless?

duke1n

Banned
Doing a tranny swap by yourself with a floor jack... not bad

Doing a cam and pulling the head by yourself without a cherry picker... cake

Trying to get the front axle hub assembly out... WHAT A MOFO!!!!!

Is there a tool for doing this? Thought I'd loosen the 4 bolts about 1/8" on each side and drive it around I guess and see if they will break free. Jimini F Cricket what a PITA.

:hehe: Not having the best of luck there, huh Mike?
Wait a minute, you drove it with the bolts loose....Don't you have to take the front axle nut off before that hub will come off?

An air chisel is your best firend! I ended up with a torch, 10lb sledge and an air chisel.

bnraodon

The front hub puller tool can work, but can also pull the hub bearing apart. You can wedge a socket in the front u-joint and start the truck and move the steering wheel back and forth slowly.

Dukey, Richard just :eek:wned: you :hehe: :hehe:

Spray it down with PB Blaster or some type of penetrating oil, let sit for a day. Take the tie rod loose so the knuckle can go all the way to the stop on the axle tube, the tie rod will absorb some of the impact of the hammer and make it tougher. Now loosen the bolts about 1/8 (as you did) and use a socket that fits the bolt head and an extension. Get a 2lb drilling hammer and go to town, should knock right out of there.

wow u guys had bad luck with these dang i musta been lucky {billy} said is was simple an heck it was on mine a note though i hope i never change the otherside it will probably be a bitc?

How did you get behind/under it Brandon?

I tried the old socket trick but without the motor running, there was no power assist.

I'm afraid to go spend $$ on a hub puller and then pull the bearing apart. I'm about to just take it to the Bear Frame & Axle and pay them to do it. Has to be a tool or a trick other than beating it to death. I'd put a torch on the spindle but afraid I'd burn up the grease. What a PITA

Loosen the 4 bolts, spray a ggod shot of penetrating oil, and use an air hammer on the bolts. Never had one I couldn't get out.

I didn't use a air hammer but I smacked the bolts a couple times with a 5lb'er... bad idea as it smashed then pretty good. Had to file the lip off and then put a socket on it and smacked the socket a few times. Nothin... Maybe letting sit over night will help. Not so much fun...

First take a bolt out and goto the hardware store and get a few to beat on so you still have the 12point ones in good shape when you are done. Next go find your snap-on dealer and get a ph3050 air hammer and a punch or rivet buck bit that will fit through a 1/2" drive socket. Put in the cheap bolt in the hole, put a cheap 1/2" drive socket on the bolt, this will keep the hammer on the bolt. Open up a can of whoop ass on it as you work from side to side. It should be off in less than half an hour.

I get the big nut loose then take it back to finger tight, jack both sides oif the truck up{easier on the steering} up just so the bearing doesnt seperate, loosen the back 4 bolts, take them 3/4s the way out, get a deepsocket same size or bigger and possibly a extention you dont preferably care for,just incase it bends, but have someone turn the wheel back and forth as you rotate on the diferent bolts, like a press, they poped right off for me!, and im up here in the salt, rust belt, Iowa !!lol did both of mine, went just fine, now Im gonna do it on my 98, I to dreded doing these, but, after I did it, it was piece of cake, .....

Mine just slid right off...didn't take but an hour and a half to do new bearings, rotors and brakes on both sides! Guess I just lucked out:D

Good luck!
Chris

Chris is a ^%$%%$%$#!
The first time I had mine apart, it took 8 hours to get 1 side apart. Dana was nice enough to crossthread the axle shaft nut and it was rusted on real bad. I live in a place where they spread salt on the road like it was gravel on a driveway.

I knew that would get someone stirred up! :p

In a few years mine will be all rusted away too...feel better now??

Chris:kick:

Trashdawg said:
The front hub puller tool can work, but can also pull the hub bearing apart. You can wedge a socket in the front u-joint and start the truck and move the steering wheel back and forth slowly.
A socket or a bar. Let the hydraulics do it. Pops right out.