Prime EGT's

kleann

VP44 pwr
What egt's would yall say are the best to run at for sled pulling? 1800? And what temp. is the hottest you would go with stock pistons?

:thankyou2:

Last edited:
What egt's would yall say are the best to run at for pulling? 1800? And what temp. is the hottest you would go with stock pistons?

:thankyou2:

Sled pulling I assume you mean? I'd try and keep it around 1500-1600 if at all possible several pulls at 1800* will do damage over time. I wouldnt wanna be over 1600 for more then 5-10 seconds on stock pistons very many times, all JMO

Dont worry about the egts. Put a piece of tape over the guage and call it good. I know guys run anywhere from 1600 to 2200 degrees. Mine would hit almost 2000 on stock 12v pistons. My brothers trucks has the 2000 degree gauge pegged before it leaves the line. Im not saying their is no risk but, but of me and about 10-12 other local guys who pull all the time, none worry about egts.

Dont worry about the egts. Put a piece of tape over the guage and call it good. I know guys run anywhere from 1600 to 2200 degrees. Mine would hit almost 2000 on stock 12v pistons. My brothers trucks has the 2000 degree gauge pegged before it leaves the line. Im not saying their is no risk but, but of me and about 10-12 other local guys who pull all the time, none worry about egts.

43 some pulls last year with a broken egt gauge...Still going strong.:rockwoot:

broken gauge, pegged gauge, no gauge...

Like I said, it's overrated...

I agree I didnt run a pyro gauge for 2 years in my truck

The question is.......Are you really gonna let out at 3/4 track because of egt? I know I wouldn't.

I agree they are overrated also!!!! I dont look at mine when I am pulling because like stated above who is going to lift off the throttle at 3/4 track!!

You might not lift but its a tuning tool and you can use it to diagnose issues. If all the sudden your truck seems like it loses 100hp and you are seeing higher than normal EGT's or lower than normal, you can find out if maybe you have lack of fueling, or a bad injector thats dumping extra fuel etc.

Thats the only reason I ever look at mine. My stays fairly cool anyway, no more than about 1500* but I don't watch it steadily, I usually try to look at it right at the end of the pull to see where it maxed out.

As for whats bad for pistons, I ran my truck with 150hp injectors, edge comp, and HX35 with 14cm housing for 2 years, pegging 1600+ daily, driving like a fool, holding it pegged to over 100mph and never lifted, and when I pulled the head the pistons and cyl walls looked great. These motors are tough and will handle the short bursts of 20 seconds or less. But if you try pulling a 5 mile grade at 1250+ for a few minutes, or break and injector tip and flood a piston with fuel, then you will burn up a piston.

mine only get about 1400 and engine temp about 160 when i get done 140 when i start