pro52 equivalent

I am looking for some suggestions regarding using a Holset pro52 with a 16cm^2 turbine housing, or something similar to that size turbo. Is there a different turbo that is perhaps more modern?

I was looking at Borg Warner turbos, and really like what they have available. The efr9180 comes to mind, but I wonder if all it's features are worth the cost, plus it is a smaller ~68mm (67.7mm) turbo as compared to the pro52.

I would like to stay with a single turbo, if that helps, as I have the rpms to effectively use a single.

What is your engine setup and power goal? What rpm range do you plan to make power?

The engine setup is a 3.0L, 24 valve, inline 6, Mercedes OM606. I would be happy with 500whp, with 600+ being more of the goal.

The limit for now is ~6600rpms, and with the addition of valve springs 8000+rpms. For the lower range, good power should hopefully start around 3500, and correspond to >200whp.

For reference, the pro52 on the same engine made 700whp, and was reported to be just fine for a daily driver in terms of response/spool up.

Stick with a garrett ball bearing variant of the 3788 or 3794. Pte also has some billet ball bearing turbos. Guys are making over 800 whp on 2 liter 4 cylinder mitsu engines with the 6466, and way more than that on the 6766. And are available with vband exhaust housings to promote easy fitment, high flow and fast spool.

Last edited:
The 3788 probably will not flow enough for my whp goal, and the 3794 seems to be a VNT turbo: Garrett GT3794VA Stage 1 Upgrade

I would not mind using a VNT/VGT, but engine compartment space is limited unfortunately, especially for the turbine housing, assuming the turbine housing is the same or similar diameter as the compressor housing. I appreciate the good suggestions though!

For reference, the engine is an IDI design.

The Precision 6766 looks to be similar to the BW efr9180, and about $100 or so less expensive. However, they do offer a 7175 that seems to be quite close to the pro52. Has anyone tried out these turbos?

The 3788 probably will not flow enough for my whp goal, and the 3794 seems to be a VNT turbo: Garrett GT3794VA Stage 1 Upgrade

I would not mind using a VNT/VGT, but engine compartment space is limited unfortunately, especially for the turbine housing, assuming the turbine housing is the same or similar diameter as the compressor housing. I appreciate the good suggestions though!

For reference, the engine is an IDI design.

The Precision 6766 looks to be similar to the BW efr9180, and about $100 or so less expensive. However, they do offer a 7175 that seems to be quite close to the pro52. Has anyone tried out these turbos?
Big wheels spool very slow, the 67 mm modern billet wheels outflow old school wheels by a long shot.
Forcedperformance.net is a turbo shop based out of mckinney tx, they sell a non vnt 3794, with a billet hta (gtx) compressor wheel.

I would use an S300 based BW charger. A 66mm comp wheel and 73.5mm turbine wheel should do the job beautifully.

Ok thanks. It is good to see there are more than a few alternatives out there as compared to the pro52.

I did notice I can get the same forged milled compressor wheel the efr9180 uses, in an s400 based turbo. I wonder if that is worth getting over the efr turbo?

Back