Problems after NV4500 swap.

Texas_outlaw

Truck is a 97 2500 4x4, swapped in a nv4500, retained the auto PCM and grounded NSS wire. Speedo did not work on the initial road test, shut the truck down at the house and an hour later we took the truck on another road test and everything was working normal. After two days of driving normally I parked the truck in the driveway came back out 30 min later and when I keyed on there was only oil and air bag light prove out.

No engine, gen, wts, trans temp or wif lights come on during initial key on for prove out. A/C is not working, alt. not charging and tach is dead. All other gauges work properly and read normal. I have replaced the ESS and gapped at 0.050", all fuses in the cab and under hood have been checked with test light and dvom and all are good. Battery connections removed and cleaned, grounds all seem to be making good contact and power is present on other side of fusable links. Today the shut down solenoid will not lift the shut off arm anymore.

Now that the truck has sat for a few days, I have found out the hard way we have an air leak on the suction side of the system and the truck will not hold prime after a few days of sitting. When the problem first started I removed the 20amp fuel system fuse under the hood with the engine running and the alt. started charging(overcharging after a min or two) and a/c compressor stayed on no matter what position the selector in the cab was at.

Any input would be appreciated as I am bald and have no hair left to pull out. You don't realize how much you like a truck until you can't drive it.

i have had a few higher mileage 12v trucks tha had harness problems in the main harness that routes to the fuel solenoid. these were rubbed through at the back of the head on the drivers side. also check the basics nothing pinched between the trans. etc

had a truck that broke the solder joint inside fuse box that connects devise to the fuse.
ie horn wire to the fuse.

also check ignition switch outputs i have seen no pull in from low grade signal there as well. best of luck to ya. jake

Thank you for the input. Going to pull the harness out this evening after work and get to searching.

Pulled harness and found no issues. Does anyone have a diagram I can follow? I found a connector composite of the c1, c2 and c3 pcm connectors. Tried to follow as best I could but as best I can tell the pcm is not grounding even though it has good ground circuits coming out on the c1 connector.

Back