Problems with Clutch

GOLIATH-06

Moose
I currently have a 06 Cummins (750hp range)with G56 trans. I am running a SB3600 SFI dual disc. clutch. When I first put clutch in it ran great very smooth with normal dual disc noise. After a couple days of driving, the clutch began to make a loud rubbing or gring noise whenever I hit a bounce going down the road or am under heavy acceleration, and you can feel the vibration from the grinding noise in the pedals. I immediately contacted SB and explained the situation to them. I removed the clutch and sent it back to them, and they sent me a new clutch. I installed the new clutch and the same exact thing has happened again! when I removed the clutch the first time i was sure to check and make sure that nothing had loosened up that could causing this. Everything was tight! The bell housing has been shaved as they directed, and there are no signs of anything rubbing, no metal shavings, no excessive clutch dust, etc... The throw out bearing is fine as it should be since it was brand new! I have talked to SB again and they have said that it could be the throw out bearing possibly, but I know that the first one was fine and the clutch is doing the same thing again! The truck shifts fine without any problems and the the input shaft is tight and in good condition, truck has 48,000 miles on it! The truck did not make this noise prior to this clutch(truck had less hp at the time, but still no noise in trans) and when first installed it did not make the noise either. I don't know what else to think it could be, any thoughts or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
Moose

Is there a possibility that it is in the transmission itself? Possibly the stock DMF flywheel was masking the problem, and now the solid flywheel is allowing you to feel the vibration? It might be worth draining the transmission fluid and seeing if you find heavy metal wear. Have you done anything to help the G56 live at that power level?

--Eric

I agree. Check you Trans input shaft and all the bearings for slack. Along with metal in the case. And why do you shave the Trans housing for a clutch install?

Thanks guys. I have changed the trans and Tcase oil over to Gorilla juice when I installed DD clutch. No shavings or problems that i noticed there. The clutch that I had in previously was a single disc SB so the stock flywheel was not present as far as covering up noise prior to DD. input shaft was tight when i put last clutch in. but its wierd that when clutch in it doesnt make noise then it gets worse and worse. I also am ordering a torque shield for my trans. Any tips on how to check for trans problems inside that you mentioned?

As far as bearings go that is.. i know to check for shavings, but any other things to look for? and you must shave the tabs in the bellhousing when installing a SFI clutch SB sends instructions on it, i spoke directly to them.

Last edited:
Okay I get you now. You trimmed the ribs off the inside of the housing. I was thinking shaving the mating surface.

sell the truck and buy an auto.. im ready if u are!

Last edited:
This sounds all to familar same prob. I had with sb dd a while back went to valair never looked back .after plulling uot 4 times 3 at shop my self last with valair. I found that the through out bearings had way to much play and wore out my input retainer the sleve through out bearing slides on and starts grinding on fork and a whole lot of vibration. Sb whas good on getting me parts to get me going but just had enough . This truck is my lively i do 20,000 miles a month so when theres a prob. They come up quik. Sorry for all rambling on.