Programming Trouble

RockinRam96

Hey Guys i am having difficulty programing my truck with a used Smarty I bought. I plug the the programmer into my truck and it is having trouble connecting to the truck. It keeps having me turn the key on and off, several times with no luck. The kid I bought the Smarty from swears the programmer is not vin locked.

I emailed Smarty and they told me to take the ABS fuses out. I took both ABS fuses out with no luck. Are we talking about the Anti Lock Brake Fuse, thats the only ABS I know of.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. The truck is a 2000 Dodge Cummins Diesel 6-Speed.

I have ran into this problem before. The smarty cannot communicate to the ECM through the OBD2 port is your issue. I have had it be anything from a bad ground to a corroded OBD2 plug. Either way its a communication issue so go over all your wiring and grounds with a fine tooth comb.

The programmer that I purchased was bought last June. Does it have the most up to date software?

I have the same thing happens on my dually. The thing is after it does that it does the same thing on my other truck.

Make sure you have ALL items that could create a electrical draw off or fuses removed.

The Fuel pump fuse,no matter if its factory or aftermarket needs taken out.

The best way to ensure a good connection to your ECM with the Smarty is a 2nd OBD port wired directly to your ECM,especially if its a 03-05 truck.

I think i've figured it out or some of the problem. My truck is a late 04. The engine, ecm and all underhood wiring is early 04. Everything works great I just can't figure out how to get the smarty to communicate.

Back