project: Missing Bolts

firemn260

I figured I would start a thread on my progress getting my truck the way I want it. Actually more like straitened out after the hack job wrench turners who had there hands on it before me. Hence the name of the project.

First of all I got the truck In a non running state due to a airdog lift pump motor that was seized. I did crank the motor over and it built oil pressure so I took a chance and brought it home for a cool 5k.
Body was strait and surprisingly almost rust free. I was holding receipts for a completely rebuilt NV4500 with the 5 gear nut fixed and a valair dual disk with less than a thousand miles on it. It has a 6 inch lift with 35s on 3rd Gen wheels. Interior is pretty clean and I couldn't believe not a single Crack in the dash. If anything I could get my money back after parting it out if the motor turned out to be shot.

Got a new pump motor from airdog put on, a quick check of running fluids, and after some serious cranking got the beast to fire. Took it for a short run up the private lane that goes to my house and I noticed right away it was running rough. It also want to stall when I came to a stop.

Few days later I drove it up to my buddies shop who fortunately lives right at the end of my street. When I pulled it in I notice the radiator was leaking. Also it sounded like a waterfall inside the heater core. Long story short on that I came to the conclusion that the head gasket had failed.

At this point I decided to pull the motor. There are some leaks I want adress anyway.

I would like to add photos as I go but I'm not sure how. Right now I have the motor out and the head just came back from the machine shop with a fresh surface and o rings. The HG had failed in between 3 and 4 cylinder alow in pressure to escape into a water passage. That explained the pressurized coolant system. I'm guessing the studs wernt installed or torqued properly.

I'm going to leave it at that for the night. Next I need some help figuring out the afc. Ive done my reserch on it and i understand what it does. I just cant figure out why it was set the way it was from the previous idiot who owned the truck. Thanks for following so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-01-18-38-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-01-18-38-16.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
What is the issue with the AFC?

the boost line that goes from the intake to the afc was disconnected. I have a invoice from a shop that says it was disconnected to prevent over fueling?? Don't make sense to me. Anyway I took it apart and the foot barrel was already ground down and a fender washer was on the spring side. So at this point I went to test it with a air gun. Started at 30 and it went to full travel and did so all the way down to 5 psi. That's when I noticed the star wheel was cranked to the max and the spring was just sliding back and fourth with no tension at all.

I didn't get to beat on the truck to see smoke a spool up caracteristics because of the blown hg.

I just want to get it back to a starting point to get it dialed in right but I have no idea why it was the way it was.

Sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing. I'd crank the star wheel back to put tension on the spring and set it to full fuel around 35-40psi with shop air and hook the boost line back up to it and start from there.

Picked up a full engine gasket kit on fleabay for 150 bucks. I wasn't expecting much. When it got it I have to say I was impressed.
I wasn't sure about the head gasket so today I went to a cummins dealer for a oem gasket. Unfortunately all they had in a standard thickness was a complete top end kit. For 330 bucks ouch. I got it anyway figuring I would compare it to the eBay kit.

Side by side I would say I can't tell the differance between the head gaskets except for the part number stamped on the cummins gasket.

The cheap kit is made by eristic btw. I have never heard of them but it seems to me that many of the gaskets came from the same place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-25-20-19-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-25-20-19-37.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2015-03-25-20-20-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-25-20-20-11.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2015-03-25-20-20-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-25-20-20-05.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
Sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing. I'd crank the star wheel back to put tension on the spring and set it to full fuel around 35-40psi with shop air and hook the boost line back up to it and start from there.

thanks. The way it is now is full fuel all the time?

Picked up a full engine gasket kit on fleabay for 150 bucks. I wasn't expecting much. When it got it I have to say I was impressed.

I wasn't sure about the head gasket so today I went to a cummins dealer for a oem gasket. Unfortunately all they had in a standard thickness was a complete top end kit. For 330 bucks ouch. I got it anyway figuring I would compare it to the eBay kit.

Side by side I would say I can't tell the differance between the head gaskets except for the part number stamped on the cummins gasket.

The cheap kit is made by eristic btw. I have never heard of them but it seems to me that many of the gaskets came from the same place.

That's the best looking aftermarket HG I have seen. Usually they cheap out on the compression rings and make them really Thin. I found out the hard way when I blew a felpro in three cylinders at once and one of the compression rings blew completely out of the HG and somehow ended up in the cylinder.

I seriously can't find a differance. The black material on the eristic gasket seems a little more tacky and maybe slit Ely thicker. I'm kind a bummed I spent so much on the cummins gasket but I'll still use it anyway