projector headlight help

Willy91

Howdy folks,

I bought a set of projector headlights for my truck, put them on, everything looks great, but they don't work worth a darn. Problem is is thatthey are not very bright at all. The high beam indicator light stays on all the time. The low beams work ok with just the light that the halo ring surrounds going(low beam i think), but when I go to high beam they dim, plus the highbeam lights are very dim. Am I going to have to wire a relay in for them? Any thoughts why my high beam indicator is stuck on, in both high and low beam modes? Thanks folks.

Last edited:
The halo ring whould be wired to come on with the parking lights not wired into the head light power. Try that first and just have headlights plugged in normaly without anything tapped into that circuit.

Probably wired for later years switched ground.:bang
You have to find out how your gonna connect the wires correct. If you cant, it´s not that hard for someone with a little electricyknowledge.
Mine works great, much more light than the stock POS!

The halo ring whould be wired to come on with the parking lights not wired into the head light power. Try that first and just have headlights plugged in normaly without anything tapped into that circuit.

The halo ring is wired to come on with the parking lights. I was talking about the big low beam light inside the halo ring.

Probably wired for later years switched ground.:bang
You have to find out how your gonna connect the wires correct. If you cant, it´s not that hard for someone with a little electricyknowledge.
Mine works great, much more light than the stock POS!

when did they switch over to a switched ground? Can you explain the difference between, how I would wire the lights? Would putting a set of relays in help? thanks.

*These lights work great on Sport AND Non-Sport package equipped trucks.
However, a slight modification is needed on the Non Sport package equipped trucks.
These headlight kits convert the single 1 bulb 9004 setup to a H1/9005 setup.
To make this work properly, you need to swap the high beam and ground pins in the headlight harness plug, OR, you can cut the wire behind the plug and swap the connections there.
This will fix the high beam issue some of you have experienced if you have purchased these light elsewhere.

*On non-sport equipped trucks only. Trucks with the sport package already have dual 9007 bulbs.
Chase

*These lights work great on Sport AND Non-Sport package equipped trucks.
However, a slight modification is needed on the Non Sport package equipped trucks.
These headlight kits convert the single 1 bulb 9004 setup to a H1/9005 setup.
To make this work properly, you need to swap the high beam and ground pins in the headlight harness plug, OR, you can cut the wire behind the plug and swap the connections there.
This will fix the high beam issue some of you have experienced if you have purchased these light elsewhere.

*On non-sport equipped trucks only. Trucks with the sport package already have dual 9007 bulbs.
Chase

Sounds familiar!
I found out using a multimeter.
No need for relays with a normal bulb. With stronger bulbs or HID-lights you need relays.

ok So I've been playing with the wires, and still havn't gotten it to work. I tried swapping just the high beam and ground, that did nothing. I tried swapping both grounds from the high and low with the high beam power. Still nothing. The only hing that I havn't done is cut the power wire to the low beams and switch them with the ground. Do I need to do that? An ideas? The high beam indicator is still lit no matter what I do.I wish I could make the 9004 bulb fit them, then I would hook it up like it was stock, and put the low beam projector lights on a toggle. That'd prolly put out some light, and be simple but the 9004 won't fit.

I had the same problem, it is just a simple wire swap, no cutting involved.. Bad thing is It was years ago when I did it and can't remember which ones need to be swapped :bang..

And btw the low beams suck anyways.. Highbeams work great once you get them working right.. As soon as I get a new tranny in this dang Jeep I bought I am going to rip the headlights apart and put TRUE hid projectors in there. The ones that come in the headlights are just knockoffs and don't work as good as a true projector. To get mine even as decent as they are I had to unscrew the housing on the projector and grind down the plate in the center that determines beam pattern.

Willy.. i cant figure it out either. All ik is that i swaped my wires on the headlight connector around and the dashlight went out BUT like luckyjeff said theres really nothing can do about the brightness at low beam. I still recommend sending them back and geting some KGS racing ones as they are almost as bright as the projectors are at high beam

I ended up going my own route and it works great. Got the 9004 bulbs to fit by taking a dremel to the bulb and making it work, got the filiment at the proper location so my beam pattern is good, and wired the low beams to a toggle, so I can the the low beams full time and have high/low beam operation using the stock bulbs. Makes darn good light to.

sweeet so what did you do with the high beams? or did you just keep the high beams that are in thier n rrouted them to the same switch so both bulbs come one?

as I said above, I removed the highbeam bulbs and put my stock, dual filiment bulbs in thier place.

as I said above, I removed the highbeam bulbs and put my stock, dual filiment bulbs in thier place.

if you could take some pics of your modified bulb compared to a stock 9004 that would probably help several of these guys out.